Do I really need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCROOK:
Why would you dive tables, it makes no sense. If you like diving, you will get much more bottom time with a computer then diving a square dive that does not take into account different levels. Also, if you do something stupid like ascend to quick, it will set off the alarm, giving you some warning (before you get bent).
I am considering a dive computer . I just moved to Montreal from Toronto .Some dive buddies of mine are planning a trip back to T.O. I hear the dive gear is less expensive there. What computer do you use . Can you give me some ideas.....P.S. I dove on the Muskelonge IN brockville last week AWESOME!!!!!!!

I guess that this was an interesting question as there is so many debated arguements. I've dived for 24 years and have never used a computer. It was a couple years ago I started using the wheel type RDP which will calculates for multiple level dives. I asked yesterday where I could find a metric version and recieved 2 replies.

1. Y - as in why? 2. use conversions! - My answer to this is that I will want to be on the same page with the other divers that I am working with when planning a dive as they are mostly from Europe. Converting is possible but I'd rather deal with planning the dive with other members on the same page and in real time.

I realized after reading the expedition synopsys that the use of a computer as a primary guage was simply not allowed. All dives are preplanned and deviations from the plan is not allowed. Any deviations from the plan will end the dive immediately. Computers are allowed, but only considered a redundant piece of equipment.

I am not anticomputer and am actually considered a tech geek but also am a practical user of electronic gadgets - believe me, I've bought a lot of junk and learned a lot of lessons. I would have liked to get a new dive computer but could not justify it in the future plans - oh well.
For those who only wish to find an arguement - get into boat building. I have been building boats for 25 years and it provokes some of the most fearsome arguements I've ever been involved with - It is total nonsense!!! Heluvalottafun though.
Buhya!!!

Sordello,
If we are done debating computers now, lets debate which epoxy to use for boat building, how about steam bent or laminated ribs, Life calk or 5200,
no, lets not.

Tanks for remindin me of my purpose here. I've learned a couple of things from this discussion.
I will not need a computer and this will save me several hundred dollars.

I liked the person who did 5 dives a day to 90 feet. Now there's a man!!! Back in the good old days in Seattle I often did 4 dives a day at up to 40 feet. This was while working as a safety diver. It took a lot out of me just to do that. I'll have to try to calculate 5 dives to 90 feet on the RDP.

Plungebob:
I am considering a dive computer . I just moved to Montreal from Toronto .Some dive buddies of mine are planning a trip back to T.O. I hear the dive gear is less expensive there. What computer do you use . Can you give me some ideas.....P.S. I dove on the Muskelonge IN brockville last week AWESOME!!!!!!!
Hi Plungebob,

Diving the St. Lawrence is an incredible experience. They don't call it the Canadian Caribbean for nothing. Gotta love those 3+ knot currents @ Brockville. I was diving Brockville 2 weeks ago, found a dive pouch for weights and a knife on that wreck!!!

I dive with a Sunnto Gekko. The price was right $399 CAN (does not download to your laptop), also monitors Nitrox. The next Sunnto model up does download (extra $100 I think). PM and I will guide you to the cheapest dive shops in Ontario.

Sordello:
I just realized something today - MY RDP is in FEET, and I think my crew will be using metric RDP's and I need to find a metric wheel type RDP. Where in the USA am I going to find one of these. Maybe a supplier in Canada will have one. Any clues?

My first time renting gear in Canada I was unhappily surprised finding out I had imperial-only gauges...years of metric system math and distances in km made me expect metric, or at least dual-labelled ones, so you may not be able to find the wheels here easily.

Feet-meters are much easier to deal with than pressure conversions, rough guesses are easy. Borrow one of their wheels, steal it when they go back, since they can find them easier back there...ask them first, of course.

PerroneFord:
Can you get one of those at Leisure Pro for $399? :D

Hhmm. How about a $99 fare across the country? Or a $200 copy of Microsoft Office using Excel tables to design a structure (with Microsoft's disclaimer that it bears no responsibility for faulty algorigthms in their code). I had it happen with an Excel floating point error for a power station design. The calulations were correct but Excel gave the incorrect answer without a new service pack (that they also explain they have no obligation to notify you exists). Thank goodness it was a homework assignment instead of the real thing.

Sordello:
...use conversions! - My answer to this is that I will want to be on the same page with the other divers that I am working with when planning a dive as they are mostly from Europe. Converting is possible but I'd rather deal with planning the dive with other members on the same page and in real time...

...For those who only wish to find an arguement - get into boat building. I have been building boats for 25 years and it provokes some of the most fearsome arguements I've ever been involved with - It is total nonsense!!! Heluvalottafun though.
Buhya!!!

If you get a metric table does your depth gauge read imperial? That could be a big holdup. As for computers, you may want to consider one with gauge mode. Then you can use it purely as a bottom timer and depth gauge in metric or english and use it to plot your dive to compare versus your plan.

I build composite airplanes. I'll take your boat arguments eyebrow

ShakaZulu:
Hey, what are you REC divers arguing so much about computers, just get one, it could save your lives. Just go to a local dive site, and observe the abilities of 80% of the divers. Scary I tell you, and you expect these dewds to still figure out tables, monitor depths, and control their boyency through all this. As soon as they deviate from a planned depth, the plan is shot. Are you guys crazy???

I've been on this board for a while, and I've never seen anyone of the TEK dewds giving out the secrets to multi-profile, on-the-fly depth calculations. The fact of the matter is, that most REC divers ride the NDL curve..........
What are you doing? You're giving away the black art of diving. Stop with the "on the fly" calculations will ya? Next thing, you'll be telling folks that there is a way to actually plan gas usage for a dive... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom