Do I really need an expensive dive computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I don't seem to understand is why all the need for $1500 computer..... Is this all really necessary?

I haven't read this entire thread, but it's a very easy answer. NO!! A $1500 dive computer is absolutely not necessary for any diving, let alone recreational diving. Personally I think it's a huge waste of money, but I guess wasting money is part of any hobby.

Immediately after my September cert, I asked my wife for a dive watch for Christmas. I figured I would dive tables, a computer could wait. I also figured I would rent gear - especially tanks!!

Christmas 2010 saw me with the dive watch I had asked for, an Oceanic Veo 2.0, SeaQuest Balance BCD, and a full Apeks ATX40 reg set with console. Before spring I had bought my wet suit and the downward spiral was well underway. I have never done a dive since OW without all my own gear, other than tanks and weights. 7 tanks in the garage (re-sold 2 others), steel and aluminum plates with wings, added an Apex TX50 reg set, a Petrel 2, etc.

Is your wife closely related to Santa? Any more where she came from?

I have a Sherwood puck style dive computer I love it it gives me everything I need. No it's not so no I'm not a tech or nitrox or trimix diver my computer can work with nitrox. If your not diving tech or switching gases for deco. Then a puck will do just fine btw. Those fancy led screens need to be shielded in the sun to be read like your phone. My LCD puck works great in the sun also I can set it so the backlighting stays on for different lengths of time. It's wrist mounted rugged simple
Most important for me is to keep things simple

Is your wife closely related to Santa? Any more where she came from?
LOL.

She never questions my purchases either! Last one was a HP130 in November. She also bought me my new oversize dive watch for Christmas this year.

LOL.

She never questions my purchases either! Last one was a HP130 in November. She also bought me my new oversize dive watch for Christmas this year.
Our wives need to get together so that mine could get lessons. mind you my wife doesnt get mad just cringes when she finds out ive been to the dive shop

I have a Sherwood puck style dive computer I love it it gives me everything I need. No it's not so no I'm not a tech or nitrox or trimix diver my computer can work with nitrox. If your not diving tech or switching gases for deco. Then a puck will do just fine btw. Those fancy led screens need to be shielded in the sun to be read like your phone. My LCD puck works great in the sun also I can set it so the backlighting stays on for different lengths of time. It's wrist mounted rugged simple
Most important for me is to keep things simple
I don't particularly worry about how easy / hard the screen is to see at the surface - I'm heading down :)

I don't particularly worry about how easy / hard the screen is to see at the surface - I'm heading down :)
True but when the sun shines through the water on a clear day like when your on the keystorm they can be harder to read without being shielded just showing the pros and cons

True but when the sun shines through the water on a clear day like when your on the keystorm they can be harder to read without being shielded just showing the pros and cons
No worries, just playing. You are correct, but on balance I still find my Petrel 2 screen much better for my eyes than my Veo 2.0 screen. It is all trade-offs.

Yes, yes, you really do. And $1500 is nowhere near enough to get what you really need. My soon to be formed DC company is taking preorders for the only dive computer anyone will want. Any computer can give you time and depth, some might even give you tank pressure. Wouldn’t you like one that has a built-in dpv, will add air to the tank during the dive, find every fish you want to see, does a background check on the insta-buddy you just got assigned, and can be seen by the DM on the boat no matter the depth! Preorder now for just $2,500,000. The ultimate dive computer can soon be yours! If I can get at least 150 preorders…maybe...just saying..

Yes, yes, you really do. And $1500 is nowhere near enough to get what you really need. My soon to be formed DC company is taking preorders for the only dive computer anyone will want. Any computer can give you time and depth, some might even give you tank pressure. Wouldn’t you like one that has a built-in dpv, will add air to the tank during the dive, find every fish you want to see, does a background check on the insta-buddy you just got assigned, and can be seen by the DM on the boat no matter the depth! Preorder now for just $2,500,000. The ultimate dive computer can soon be yours! If I can get at least 150 preorders…maybe...just saying..
takemymoney.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom