Do I really need an expensive dive computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was certified in 1990 many divers then didn't have computers and we used tables.

Last year after taking over a decade off from diving, I took up the sport again. So, I must admit it had been a long time out of the water. I have noticed that everybody has all kinds of expensive computers that seem to to the same thing. Bluetooth air gauge? Does anybody not trust electronics underwater?

I've been scuba diving for almost 50 years and I don't have a computer. I got one for my girlfriend because she is only OW certified and freaks out when the DM says "the deepest part of the dive will be 90 feet." I had read that it (Mares Puck Pro) was "conservative" and when I put it in the pool in six feet of water for five minutes (seeing if it worked OK) it said not to fly for 12 hours. I guess knowing the dive tables can be helpful with some computers.

I don't even trust electronics above the water let alone being submerged at great pressures in salt water. Will I ever get one? Maybe, but I certainly won't pay a bunch of money for one.

I've been scuba diving for almost 50 years and I don't have a computer.

Such a shame. 50 years of diving and cutting your dives short because you don't have the benefit of the dynamic monitoring of your true bottom time that is provided by a computer that calculates your N02 absorption much more accurately than you do given that you most likely do not dive a completely square profile on every dive and yet you calculate your dives as if you do. That probably accounts to 100s of hours of lost diving time plus the inconvenience and wasted time calculating your bottom times the old fashioned way.

when I put it in the pool in six feet of water for five minutes (seeing if it worked OK) it said not to fly for 12 hours. I guess knowing the dive tables can be helpful with some computers.

Yes, because most dive computers follow the commonly accepted standard of "no flying for 12 hours after diving".

I doubt most divers with half a brain would be all that concerned about jumping on an airplane after 1 extremely shallow dive in the past 24 hours regardless of what their computer might say. A computer is an instrument that provides information and guidance- it's not our boss or some sort of a god that we blindly follow without question.

I have a hoseless air integrated Suunto which is way more than I need for recreational diving. I was excited by the technology as well as one less hose when I bought it. Everything was fine until it died in the middle of a dive and I had no longer knew my tank pressure. Now I use a puck and a small analog pressure gauge as a back up. Should have stuck with those in the first place instead of wasting an extra $1000 for fancy bells and whistles.

@Brette, no you dont need an expensive computer. But You do need this brand new, just came in the mail on Wednesday, aqualung i300 that i have sitting on my shelf.

All depends of the type of diving, if rec only, nothing beats the price and capability of a Mares Puck Pro.

If Tec then buy something good

Hi @Brette

You don't need an expensive dive computer with functions that you do not need. I think you would benefit and enjoy having a basic dive computer running a decompression algorithm that meets your personal needs. You didn't say, I'd recommend nitrox certification if you don't already have it. A good basic computer and nitrox certification will allow you to maximally enjoy rec diving

What computer did you end up buying for $250?

I posted a computer thread a few months back. I was/am a table diver too.
The answers were all over the board.
I boiled it down to two computers,
An Oceanic because they run DSAT
and supposedly they are more liberal that most other algorithms in the recreational realm. Those run $300 - $400.

Then there’s the Shearwater brand computers that scubaboard has formed a religious sect and church around.
They are the current SB darling for all sorts of high tech things like gradient factors, multiple gasses and gas switches at depth, the user can program their own profile somehow, yada yada. I’m sure the thing is really great but way more than this cowboy will ever need or will he able to understand that’s for sure.
I think they start in the $900 range.

I currently just use a cheapo Mares Puck (it’s not even a “pro”). I think it was $149 at Leisure Pro.
The thing got ripped a new A hole around here but I don’t really care, I think it’s funny.

@Brette, was in your place 2 summers ago when I started diving again after about 25 years away. Saw all the expensive computers but went with an i300. It is now doing great for me (the first one failed, the second was questionable, but I’m solidly convinced I was just unlucky) and I used it on a week long dive trip in January. Pretty much everyone else was using the latest and greatest Scubapro with lots of functions I don’t care about. I dive air and Ntrox, I don’t change gas during my dive, I don’t do planned deco dives, so I don’t need a $1000 computer.

I will say, though, that I could see their screens without my reader mask. Older eyes suck.:confused:

Erik

So some of us go for the big block Camaro SS, Mustang GT or Dodge Hellcat, while some are just as happy with a new Hyundai. I personally needed larger numbers and I like the color screens. Had a hose console for years and went to a wrist AI model and I think I like it better. Still use a B&G SPG for backup. My backup computer is wrist so I am trying to decide if I like wearing backup on the other wrist or just clip it to a D ring..

@Brette, was in your place 2 summers ago when I started diving again after about 25 years away. Saw all the expensive computers but went with an i300. It is now doing great for me (the first one failed, the second was questionable, but I’m solidly convinced I was just unlucky) and I used it on a week long dive trip in January. Pretty much everyone else was using the latest and greatest Scubapro with lots of functions I don’t care about. I dive air and Ntrox, I don’t change gas during my dive, I don’t do planned deco dives, so I don’t need a $1000 computer.

I will say, though, that I could see their screens without my reader mask. Older eyes suck.:confused:

Erik
Is that right, only took 3 computers to get it one that worked correctly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom