Do I really need an expensive dive computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are $250 computers available for a reason, and that is because there is a demand for them.

For those who say that you use a watch and tables as a backup in case your computer fails after a dive, let me give you a simple case with which to demonstrate your skill.

I do a multi-level dive on a reef, with a maximum depth of 100 feet. I work my way up the reef, ending with a total dive time of 68 minutes. I get on the boat and see that my computer has conked out. I grab my tables to prepare for the second dive, which will come after a one our surface interval and hope for a maximum depth of 75 feet. What are my limits for that dive?

Don't make that dive. The plan in case of the computer going out, (plan changed *), was, in a situation similar to what your scenario starts with, to take at least 2 to 2.5 hrs SI minimum. Second dive would be limited to 50' max for no more than an hour. BTW, all our diving these days is in Bonaire, so we can spend however long we want between dives, fairly common for SI to be 1.5 hrs or more already.
On our first trip to Cozumel, I was learning how to use the computer. In the evening, I would use the eRdp to try and replicate the dives and see what pg I was in. Didn't take long to see that the tables would kick me out of the water pretty quick based on the routine profiles the boats use there. Played with the numbers for quite a while and came up with what seems to be a safe solution if the computer ever did quit one of us. Long term plan was to get a 2nd computer. All this happened prior to finding this forum. Have found a lot of very good advice here (and some not so good).
Failure noticed during the first, or any, dive, would have us ascending to 30-40', doing the usual slow swim towards shore, and stopping the dive at 60 minutes max. Most of our dives there are 80-90 minutes. We've found we prefer to spend most of our time at less than 50' anyway.
*New plan, as of test dives last month. Found a Cressi Archimedes on the reef last year in deco. Can't tell how long it had been there, showed 999 on the display, and took several days before I could look at anything. Seems to be fully functional and worked fine in the pool. This will be the backup on the next trip. At some point, I will get her another basic, non ai, computer as well. Her half of every dive plan has always been to stay above me, and I doubt that will ever change.

Yeah, that was why I got one. I realized I could read a teammates computer 6 feet away better than mine.
Once during a complete silt out in a cave (believe it or not, it wasn't a dangerous situation), I looked at a Shearwater Petrel readout, which I could read clearly despite all that silt. It wasn't mine. Reading that computer was the only way I knew anyone else was in there with me. I could not see the arm to which it was attached.

Mac64, We put our safety in danger every day when we go to sleep at night and leave appliances and TV's and things plugged in. Most parts of most things have been outsourced and are from china. Remember the coffee maker that burned houses down? just sayin....

There are $250 computers available for a reason, and that is because there is a demand for them.
i300 costs less than that and I might go for it if my 18yrs old Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox dies. And I might even go for Mares Puck because it is even cheaper and 5 dives per day is history.

I'm a little late to the party, but my 3 cents are:
- if you are frugal (cheap!) buy the most inexpensive computer (think volkswagen) that meets your needs
- if you have way too much cash, then buy a Ferrari dive computer. Be prepared to boast about how great it is.
- make sure that you do understand your needs. Do not be hoodwinked into buying way more than you really need.
- a $250 El cheapo computer will be worth $175 in a few years if you discover you NEED to sell it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom