Do I really need an expensive dive computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shrug: I don't need a thing that'll last me forever: I don't plan to stick around quite that long.

I had a proper lug wrench and a hydraulic jack back in the last century and on another continent. I'm sure they're still going strong, but I wasn't taking them with me across one ocean and two continents. As it turns out, in this century I replaced a car wheel about once, and guess what? -- The crappy scissor jack and the sorry excuse for wheel brace/tire spoon that came with the car were quite adequate.

Last edited:
I bought six cheap puck PDCs a number of years ago for my students to learn on. All of them have since died and 4 without any signs of water intrusion. ...
I sure hope this comment is referring to the cheap computers (not the students). :rofl3:

I sure hope this comment is referring to the cheap computers (not the students). :rofl3:
Good catch: I clarified it. :D

No computer is needed to dive safely, comfortably and while having fun.
That's the important part.

Many prefer computers. Bene.
Personally, I prefer to use a gauge and min/ratio deco.
Others prefer to use a gauge and tables.

All do the trick, and all let divers dive.

One of the great things about places like this is the ability to gain insight on what kind of people you might encounter while navigating the diving world. Even though there are plenty of threads where I just shake my head and wonder how people can do the things they do that seem so poorly thought out. Some of the comments here really reinforce my decision to dive solo. No offense intended but I would never want to dive with some of you folks. I’m not all that sure I want to be on the same boat either because I would then be compelled professionally to treat your injuries. And I’m talking here about deserved injuries. Things resulting from incompetence or just a generally cavalier attitude because “ I’ve been doing this along time and nothing’s ever happened” or “ what are the odds (fill in the blank) is going to fail”. Sure the odds are in your favor but what if they aren’t that day or that dive?

Here endeth the rant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom