Do seals bite scuba divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is loosely enforced, but mainly by having a fairly aware public. We have the Department of Conservation here, who can, will, and have fined people in the past. All it takes is someone to report, and video it.

Most of the public are fairly mindful.

It's the same with people fishing in marine reserves here.

We have a similar law in the USA ... the Marine Mammal Protection Act. It's primarily used to keep land-based tourists away from rookeries and babies. For some reason, a lot of them believe these are Disney characters, and want to take pictures of their kids posing with the cute animals ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They like to nibble fins. And will have a bite at other parts of you if you stay still. Don't think they would puncture a drysuit though.

Here in NZ, it is illegal to intentionally get in the water with seals, as it is with dolphins and whales. It's a different story if you get in the water and they come to you. The fines are horrendous.

I hope the operator is aware of this.

At Norris Rock, the juvenile Steller sea lions jump off the rock into the water whenever they see a dive boat come along (except when transient orcas are out hunting). I'd be curious to learn what, if any, negative impact, diver-sea lion interactions have.

The bull that bit me punctured my elbow while I was in a crushed neoprene drysuit. It wasn't bad enough for stitches but it bled for awhile and was very painful, not to mention scary.

The bull that bit me punctured my elbow while I was in a crushed neoprene drysuit. It wasn't bad enough for stitches but it bled for awhile and was very painful, not to mention scary.
Can't like the post but thanks for sharing the experience. Confirms their power.

I've had my fins chewed multiple times, camera knocked out if my hands oonce and brought a fish once.... all playful but certainly appreciate their wildness.

Cameron

They like to nibble fins. And will have a bite at other parts of you if you stay still. Don't think they would puncture a drysuit though.

Possibly ... they did puncture my friend's hood after all, and leave teeth marks on his head. They're big enough to put your entire cranium in their mouth. Fortunately they aren't trying to hurt you ...

IMG_2524-2.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have had nothing but "cute" interactions with the local harbor seals -- fin nibbling, following me around, and one time I felt something on top of my tank, turned my head and was face to face with the little bugger. I don't know if his/her intention was to be threatening, or friendly... or <<cough>> amorous, but I started laughing uncontrollably.

However, this happened several years ago related to a swimmer: ...When harbor seals attack

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom