Do They Actually Sell Stuff At DEMA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I apologize in advance for my ignorant question but I've never been to DEMA. I'm wondering if the exhibiters at DEMA usually just take orders and contact names at the show or do they actually sell product on the spot there as well?

cleung:
I apologize in advance for my ignorant question but I've never been to DEMA. I'm wondering if the exhibiters at DEMA usually just take orders and contact names at the show or do they actually sell product on the spot there as well?

Only some things like accessories and t-shirts, etc. are sold on the spot there. Don't expect any "deals" on big-ticket items. It's a Business to Business show. It's definitely not a consumer show.

Actually, there are a few manufacturers, especially oversees manufactures who do sell stuff at DEMA, mostly so they don't have to pack it up and send it back. In USIA's early years, we used to sell to anyone with a buyers ticket, and we ran great deals on suits. When our dealer base got larger, some of our dealers complained so we stopped selling to anyone unless they were a store owner or Law Enforcement/Military.

Some manufacturers do. Pelican for example sells the cases that they have on display on the last day at about half price. Since they are hard to damage they make a good purchase, and due to the their weight the company doesn't have to ship them back.

As others have explained, DEMA is an industry show and not designed for consumer sales. Selling major gear items at the show is not allowed, however, you are able to order products (like a new drysuit) at the show and pay for it as well. Merchandise and small products (shirts, water proof cases, accessories, etc...) can all be sold. On the last day many of the exhibitors will liquidate what they have on hand (Trident sells all their accessories, UK lights sells lights). Most of the major products are not sold this way (i.e. you can't buy a d9 for 50% off on the last day) but there are a fair amount of deals during the final hours. This is even more true with companies who ship products -- it costs them less to sell at or around cost than to ship stuff back.

I scored a sweet Si Tech reg there, had to wait 'till the last day though to pick it up.
As already mentioned, its mostly orders being taken, but there are several exhibitors that either bring extras and/or unload display items.
The good folks at PST already had their display items sold even before the show, it was a good deal for both the company & the shop owner who was so resourceful as to plan ahead. :wink:

Tech Admin:
As others have explained, DEMA is an industry show and not designed for consumer sales. Selling major gear items at the show is not allowed, however, you are able to order products (like a new drysuit) at the show and pay for it as well. Merchandise and small products (shirts, water proof cases, accessories, etc...) can all be sold. On the last day many of the exhibitors will liquidate what they have on hand (Trident sells all their accessories, UK lights sells lights). Most of the major products are not sold this way (i.e. you can't buy a d9 for 50% off on the last day) but there are a fair amount of deals during the final hours. This is even more true with companies who ship products -- it costs them less to sell at or around cost than to ship stuff back.
Eventhough "your not supposed to", a lot of drysuit companies will sell the suits right there at the show and let people take them out. Security at these shows is never very good as we have had thousands of dollars worth of gear stolen through the years. They are not supposed to allow people to take items out, but they always do.

USIA:
Eventhough "your not supposed to", a lot of drysuit companies will sell the suits right there at the show and let people take them out. Security at these shows is never very good as we have had thousands of dollars worth of gear stolen through the years. They are not supposed to allow people to take items out, but they always do.

Another great point. This year DUI wrapped their entire booth in plastic at night... just to keep things a bit safer. I did see a few people get stopped at the door bringing things out but it's never hard to get by.

... DUI wrapped their entire booth in plastic at night...
Yah, I saw that "shrink wrap" on a few of the displays. I was half expecting to see one of the salespeople wound up in it. Kinky Californians. :wink:
.... a lot of drysuit companies will sell the suits right there at the show ....
Don't have to worry about Viking; there's "only" an 8 week wait on the new front zip Xtreme. A few years back it was around a 6 - 8 month wait on the rear zip version. They were cheap enough that not many people complained. :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom