do those mosquito repellent patches work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i would like to hear from those who have tried using the patches with vit. B1 for repelling mosquitos on your roatan trip. did it work? as well as catus juice or deet.......or better?? i realize different things work for different people......but was just wondering how effective the patches might be......sure would be an easy/nice solution i'm thinking. thanks in advance

It would sem from this part of your post you realize that no matter what you read here, it may or may not work for you
i realize different things work for different people

But then you ask how effective they may be as if you totally forgot the first part about being different for everyone
but was just wondering how effective the patches might be......
They may be near 100 percent effective for some and have zero effectiveness for others, Ultimately what will it matter unless you know how they work for you?
Best thing for you is to probably buy them and see if they work for you.

The Mosquitos aren't anywhere near as bothersome as the Sand Flies.

Let us know if it works on them little buggers.

I never heard of them until I was on Utila last month. One person was using them and yes it seemed to work for them. They had no sand fly bites while everyone else seemed to be getting eaten alive no matter what goop they tried. (I didn't learn about it until the end of the trip, unfortunately.) Mosquitos didn't seem to be an issue where we were (I think the sand flies scared them away) so I don't know about that.

And of course, YMMV. But I'll definitely try these next time I'm someplace like that.

Alright, let's try to quantify this a bit. Exactly what are we talking about here? I have searched a little and come up with several versions of this type of patch. The most heavily marketed seems to be the INSECT DEFEND patch, but I have also found reference to the DeBUG patch and the DON'T BITE ME patch, all claiming some form of Vit. B1 transdermal action, and some add other things, like aloe, an unspecified antinflammatory agent(?) and whatnot. There are also skin patches that radiate citronella and/or oil of eucalyptus, but that's not what we are talking about, and I digress. (Sorry:coolingoff:) Anyway, the topic is far from clear, and any light anyone can shed on this will be cheerfully accepted. Woody

Tally ho, I just found another one. THE ORIGINAL BUG PATCH is also available, and appears to be an Australian formula now available in the USA. Still transdermal Vit B1, but I have little other data. Input, anyone? :popcorn: Woody

thanks damselfish! yes, i'm talking about the patches with vitamin B1. apparently the mosquitoes/flies, etc. don't like the smell of the vit. B1 and thus leave you alone. mosquitoes seek you out by your carbon dioxide and your skin smell i believe. what a great natural way to go if it works for the sand flies. certainly worth a try. maybe we'll hear from more people who have tried it.

You may want to google "Vitamin B insect repellant".
Virtually all of the professional organizations, university studies, health agencies etc.. Say there is nothing at all to suggest Vitamin B will act as a repellant, and the majority of those claiming how good it is are from someone selling it. Think about it.
Your asking about this as a mosquito repellant to be used in an area that has mosquitoes that carry serious diseases, Of course it's up to you and you only but I will stick with the most often recommended product, which I know works well for me for both mosquitoes and sand flies.
I am interested in How these can even legally be called and insect repellant in the US when it has not gone through the proper testing. That is why on Roatan the famous cactus juice has a sticker on it calling it a repellant yet on US shelves it does not.

RTB.......do you use a deet product when on roatan instead of cactus juice? or cactus juice when you'll be in and out of the water and deet in the evening?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom