Do Valve brands make a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My LDS has a few for sale, I didn't have time to ask what the difference is but I know all of them have a convertible insert (yoke to din, din to yoke). The only difference is the brand. I believe she carries Storm, Thermo, and Genesis valves. Storm is the cheapest, then Genesis, and finally the most expensive is the Thermo. Does the brand really matter? All are 200 bar, and I plan on picking one up for my 3000/80 Catalina
The price difference is negligible but I'd like to save some cash. Storm for $35, Genesis was priced at $45, and the Thermo at $60

Yes they do IMO. Some valves are easier/quicker to manipulate than others and that's vital for me in any form of diving, not just technical. (note: all valve not pressurized turns easy, if manipulation is important test them under pressure.). I also prefer the softer knobs.

Thermo is a high quality valve and they will sell you any replacement part you might ever need.

Thermo is a high quality valve and they will sell you any replacement part you might ever need.

This, for me, is the difference; functionally they might be comparable but in the long run, it will be cheaper to buy and maintain one quality valve than to buy 2 cheap valves

Does the brand really matter? All are 200 bar, and I plan on picking one up for my 3000/80 Catalina. The price difference is negligible but I'd like to save some cash. Storm for $35, Genesis was priced at $45, and the Thermo at $60
I have serviced Thermo, Sherwood, Genesis, and Blue Steel. I have not serviced Storm.

Most / virtually all of my valves are Thermo - by choice - with the exception of 4 Dive Rite valves (and I don't know the actual manufacturer on these) which came on cylinders I bought used.

SUBJECTIVELY, I perceive that the quality of Thermo valves is somewhat higher than the other brands. I prefer the ease of manipulation of the handle, I like the overall construction of the valve, the size of the crush washer, etc. I am comfortable with Sherwoods, although they are not my personal preference. I do not care for Genesis (to work on, or to own). I would not own a Blue Steel if it was given to me free. My Dive Rites are OK - I have not changed them out - but I do not particularly like the exterior machining (too many sharp edges which makes carrying cylinders by the valve handle painful).

Bottom line, I personally prefer to pay more for new Thermo valves. But, that is a subjective statement.

Thank you everyone, I'll stick with Thermo.
Would a 230 BAR valve work with a 3000PSI/80 tank?

I have serviced Thermo, Sherwood, Genesis, and Blue Steel. I have not serviced Storm.

Most / virtually all of my valves are Thermo - by choice - with the exception of 4 Dive Rite valves (and I don't know the actual manufacturer on these) which came on cylinders I bought used.

SUBJECTIVELY, I perceive that the quality of Thermo valves is somewhat higher than the other brands. I prefer the ease of manipulation of the handle, I like the overall construction of the valve, the size of the crush washer, etc. I am comfortable with Sherwoods, although they are not my personal preference. I do not care for Genesis (to work on, or to own). I would not own a Blue Steel if it was given to me free. My Dive Rites are OK - I have not changed them out - but I do not particularly like the exterior machining (too many sharp edges which makes carrying cylinders by the valve handle painful).

Bottom line, I personally prefer to pay more for new Thermo valves. But, that is a subjective statement.

A follow up question please. Bottom line is the any difference in the construction of a valve whether din or yoke other than the burst disc. In short if I have a yoke valve on an 80 al tank (3000 lbs) and move it to a 100 al tank (3300 lbs) and switch out the burst disc, is there any harm?

The disks are rated for 5/3 the working pressure (hydro static test pressure). In an ideal world one would match that. In your case I would not worry about it as you are going down in regards to the rated pressure. I would however not go up in the rated pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom