Do Valve brands make a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......I do not care for Genesis (to work on, or to own). I would not own a Blue Steel if it was given to me free. ....

OK, I've never disassembled my Blue Steel valve, so you've got my interest. What is it that makes them unacceptable.

Cheers,

Couv

There is also a difference is rebuilding one valve versus another. Some are easier to clean and rebuild than others.

My friend's 100 cu foot steel has been losing air and the LDS claims he needs to replace his 7 year old old valve. I believe it is aThermo valve but will need to confirm (That is what are on my tanks). Any thoughts about needing to replace a valve rather than repair.

OK, I've never disassembled my Blue Steel valve, so you've got my interest. What is it that makes them unacceptable.

Cheers,

Couv

Internally they are same, same o-rings to rebuild either one. My Blue Steel Valves turn just as easy as my Thermo valves; however, I like the feel of my Thermo valves when carrying my double hp133s around. The Blue Steel have edges on them and make them uncomfortable to carry around. I know some people that will only buy Blue Steel Valve because of the triple o-rings on the manifolds.

I have Dive Rite, Blue Steel, and Thermo manifolds. The o-rings in each type of valves are the same, the Dive Rite uses an o-ring on the bonnet instead of a crush washer.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2013 at 03:29 PM ----------

My friend's 100 cu foot steel has been losing air and the LDS claims he needs to replace his 7 year old old valve. I believe it is aThermo valve but will need to confirm (That is what are on my tanks). Any thoughts about needing to replace a valve rather than repair.

A common air leak for any valve is around the valve stem. The o-ring, and the teflon washer needs to be replaced. IMO, this o-ring should be replaced every time the neck o-ring is replaced.

Is the valve losing air with the valve off or just when it's on? If just when it's on, it's probably a simple repair that can be done without draining the tank. 7 years old is a new valve in my book. I would definitely attempt to repair it before replacing-if I found it was just a seat, seal, or washer I would stay away from the LDS that advised him to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom