Do we need instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6. Although I won't get any applause for this statement, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE THE BEST DIVER IN THE WORLD TO BE A GOOD INSTRUCTOR. Read what I said carfeully., please. I am NOT saying that a bad diver can be a good instructor.

I don't believe there is anything you can learn in which this is not true.

• The best acting teachers are not out there winning academy awards.
  • On just about every sports team there is the players can outplay the coach, and the best players rarely go on to coach. How many NFL quarterback coaches have ever been starting NFL quarterbacks?
  • Driver Education teachers are not as skilled as professional racers.
  • The best ski instructors in the world have rarely competed at the world cup level.
  • Show me a creative writing teacher who has won a Pulitzer or Nobel prize.

An instructor doesn't give you his or her personal view on diving. We use a syllbus or syllabae that covers a full range of knowledge development, skills and watermanship.

Thanks for your post. You've covered quite a few points that have been missed until now.

Regarding the aforementioned quotation, I believe that an Instructor does give the student his/her personal viewpoint on diving; in-that the Instructor is not hog-tied by the minimum requirements set-out by the certification agency.

An Instructor uses all of his diving experience to enhance the level of the training he provides. S/he often expands upon the minimums. In this way, a more fulfilling program may be presented to the student.

Leapfrog, I point this out because I'm aware that you don't teach to the minimums either. From the above quotation, it may seem that you do. :)

You don't have to have an instructor to learn how to dive. You can be mentored and in turn mentor other people. The differences are the following:

1. An instructor doesn't give you his or her personal view on diving. We use a syllbus or syllabae that covers a full range of knowledge development, skills and watermanship.
I'd disagree with your description of the any of the agencies covering, "a full range of knowledge development, skills and watermanship."
2. When you are certified you get a card from an agency but also with the certifying instructor's name on it. That's an incentive for instructors to do our best. We are subject to fairly rigorous Quality Control, which is "the stick" to make sure we teach the syllabus and you cover everything on the course.
Again, I'd disagree. From what I've seen that touted QC rushes right out to make damn sure that that bar is six inches off the ground.
3. We actually have a creed as well as very important professional standards that we are held to as regards our dealings with other people.
You may take them seriously, from what I know of you it is likely that you do. But that makes you the exception not the rule.
4. We tend to be more on the cutting edge of where scuba is going, simply because we have access to more material such as training bulletins and many of us get to see "new developments" in equipment and training materials before non-pro level divers do.
What cutting edge development has this occurred with? What was PADI's initial stance on dive computers or Nitrox? They strongly opposed both.
5. Instructors do an Instructor's course and in many cases a completely independent exam (depends on the agency). Many non instructors and instructors from the old days think that course is pretty useless. Some of us would like to see a more difficult exam. Whatever, it's a training and examination process that sets an instructor apart from other divers with regards to teaching diving.
In so many cases the course has been replaced by tea bagging that an instructors card no longer counts for anything by itself.
6. Although I won't get any applause for this statement, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE THE BEST DIVER IN THE WORLD TO BE A GOOD INSTRUCTOR. Read what I said carfeully., please. I am NOT saying that a bad diver can be a good instructor. What I am saying is that there are divers out there whom admire but many of them make or would make lousy instructors.
True.
7. In many walks of life there are people that think they know it better than the pros. I don't know one single guy who isn't a better football (or whatever sport you are into) coach than the guy on the field. So my take is that if someone really thinks that, why don't they train as a coach and start coaching high school footbll or the Little Leagues or whatever? That's more intellectually honest. Can your Dad take you to the park? Sure. Is he going to turn you into an NFL quaterback if you don't move on and get the right training and education?
The example does not hold up, an Instructor Card means so little today that it is not evidence that the holder will train you any better than an experienced and thoughtful diver. Besides, if you follow your arguement out, it makes the case that if you really want to learn to dive (e.g., be an NFL Quarterback as opposed to playing sandlot) you must train with someone like DCBC or me, because otherwise, by and large, your just going to the park with your Dad.
8. By interacting with a greater number of students in different conditions, an instructor has a wider foundation with which to work than a friend who is a mentor.
True, but most Instructors just haul their groups out to the same spots over and over again and do the same dive, dive after dive. About the only exception to this is GUE, which demands that their instructors actually be involved in diving outside of the teaching that they do.
9. If diving hasn't become federally or state regulated it's because it's self regulating. If people start learning without going through a Teaching Status instructor, be sure the government will intervene and start controlling scuba. A key reason for this is that while you are training with me, my mandatory insurance policy covers both of us.
Please show me one other recreational activity where that has happened.
10. The idea of "your family member or friend teaches you" and then you do an independent exam is self defeating because the Examiner would have to take you through all the required skills and do the checkout dives with you. t the end of the day, what you gained on the apples, you lost on the bananas. If I was such an Examiner, I would expect to make a lot more than do on teching you the course.
I've had to do many, many, checkouts in my career, that's the coin of the realm in scientific diving. Whenever I go to another institution, I have to do a check out, whenever a diver comes to an institution that I am responsible to, they have to do a check out. It takes less than a morning. Sure, on an hourly basis, I make a lot more than a shop instructor does, but that doesn't make a morning of my time more expensive than an entire course.

Why should anyone need an instructor to learn to dive, or to learn any other sport/activity? I have friends who taught themselves hanggliding back in the '60s when there was no regulatory organisation. I know people now who dive without any cert cards at all - they bought all the equipment including compressor, and they simply taught themselves. Most are better divers than average. Of course, there will have been some who failed their improvised "training" and fell by the wayside.....

Regarding the aforementioned quotation, I believe that an Instructor does give the student his/her personal viewpoint on diving; in-that the Instructor is not hog-tied by the minimum requirements set-out by the certification agency.
In the context I agree. What I was trying to say (obviously not well expressed) is that I try to give professional guidance and opinions that are valid for each student/diver as an individual and not my personal diatribe or like or dislikes related to Scuba or anything else for that matter.

An Instructor uses all of his diving experience to enhance the level of the training he provides. S/he often expands upon the minimums. In this way, a more fulfilling program may be presented to the student.
True. Agreed.

Leapfrog, I point this out because I'm aware that you don't teach to the minimums either. From the above quotation, it may seem that you do. :)
Thank you. :blinking:

I'd disagree with your description of the any of the agencies covering, "a full range of knowledge development, skills and watermanship."
I didn't use the word agency. You have also taken this out of its context which is that an instructor uses a syllabus or syllabae and that a mentor who is not an instructor, by definition, does not.

Again, I'd disagree. From what I've seen that touted QC rushes right out to make damn sure that that bar is six inches off the ground.
During 2009 I am personally aware of five people who have been suspended.

You may take them seriously, from what I know of you it is likely that you do.
Thank you, I tke that as a compliment.
But that makes you the exception not the rule.
If I am, I would like to think I am not the only exception.

What cutting edge development has this occurred with? What was PADI's initial stance on dive computers or Nitrox? They strongly opposed both.
In this instance, I was speaking as a Scuba Instructor not as a PADI Instructor. I am aware of PADI's reticence to embrace new things. With regards to cutting edge, I was particularly thinking of equipment such as the Datamask/Compumask and the OC1, which I was aware of quite some time before they came out on the market. From a scientific point of view, I got interested in the pros and cons of deep stops within recreational diving limits before it became a topic of discussion within the non professional diving community.
In so many cases the course has been replaced by tea bagging that an instructors card no longer counts for anything by itself.
I'm not sure what "tea bagging" means but I agree that the card on its own doesn't mean very much.
Glad we agree on this one:wink:
The example does not hold up
Well, actually I think it does, since you go on to post later on that you would be a great NFL quarterback coach...:D
an Instructor Card means so little today that it is not evidence that the holder will train you any better than an experienced and thoughtful diver
I never said "the card was evidence". In fact I didn't mention the card at all! What I was saying is that if you think you can do the same job as an instructor and are going to teach people to dive, then it's more intellectally honest to go and get your card, than to mentor without actually measuring yourself. This is just my opinion but I stand by it.
Besides, if you follow your arguement out, it makes the case that if you really want to learn to dive (e.g., be an NFL Quarterback as opposed to playing sandlot) you must train with someone like DCBC or me, because otherwise, by and large, your just going to the park with your Dad.
I'm not anyone's Dad. So I would say if you want the best instruction within a reasonable time frame and cost (this would be college football) then train with me. When you are ready for the Superbowl, go with Thal and DCBC.

True, but most Instructors just haul their groups out to the same spots over and over again and do the same dive, dive after dive. About the only exception to this is GUE, which demands that their instructors actually be involved in diving outside of the teaching that they do.
True but as you sad "True", that you get a wider student base that gives you more experience. I'm not GUE (yet?) but I've been around.:D

Please show me one other recreational activity where that has happened.
Driving automobiles/motorcycles, recreational boating, skydiving, hunting, use of internet...
I've had to do many, many, checkouts in my career, that's the coin of the realm in scientific diving. Whenever I go to another institution, I have to do a check out, whenever a diver comes to an institution that I am responsible to, they have to do a check out. It takes less than a morning. Sure, on an hourly basis, I make a lot more than a shop instructor does, but that doesn't make a morning of my time more expensive than an entire course.
I would still charge more to examine an OWD trained by somebody else than I charge for training and certifying OR NOT certifying my own student. Let's say that by losing the satisfaction of teaching, it becomes a "In God We Trust" job.

I didn't use the word agency. You have also taken this out of its context which is that an instructor uses a syllabus or syllabae and that a mentor who is not an instructor, by definition, does not.
Who's to say that a mentor does not have a syllabus?
During 2009 I am personally aware of five people who have been suspended.
I wasn't saying that no one ever got disciplined, I was saying that the standard that they are enforcing is so low as to be almost meaningless.
Thank you, I tke that as a compliment. If I am, I would like to think I am not the only exception.
I doubt that you are the only one, but you're clearly not in the majority.
In this instance, I was speaking as a Scuba Instructor not as a PADI Instructor. I am aware of PADI's reticence to embrace new things. With regards to cutting edge, I was particularly thinking of equipment such as the Datamask/Compumask and the OC1, which I was aware of quite some time before they came out on the market. From a scientific point of view, I got interested in the pros and cons of deep stops within recreational diving limits before it became a topic of discussion within the non professional diving community.
I'm sure that I saw them in various adds and reports about the same time you did, and I don't get any of the PADI pubs that you mention. I likely found out about them at one of the dive show where lots of non-instructors also found out about them.
I'm not sure what "tea bagging" means but I agree that the card on its own doesn't mean very much.
Tea bagging is going out and making the bare minimum dive in terms of depth and time with no objective other than raising your count to meet the requirements of a standard.
Glad we agree on this one:wink:
Yup.
Well, actually I think it does, since you go on to post later on that you would be a great NFL quarterback coach...:D I never said "the card was evidence". In fact I didn't mention the card at all! What I was saying is that if you think you can do the same job as an instructor and are going to teach people to dive, then it's more intellectally honest to go and get your card, than to mentor without actually measuring yourself. This is just my opinion but I stand by it. I'm not anyone's Dad. So I would say if you want the best instruction within a reasonable time frame and cost (this would be college football) then train with me. When you are ready for the Superbowl, go with Thal and DCBC.
You are misinterpreting what I tried to say. Let me try again:

You wrote: "7. In many walks of life there are people that think they know it better than the pros. I don't know one single guy who isn't a better football (or whatever sport you are into) coach than the guy on the field. So my take is that if someone really thinks that, why don't they train as a coach and start coaching high school footbll or the Little Leagues or whatever? That's more intellectually honest. Can your Dad take you to the park? Sure. Is he going to turn you into an NFL quaterback if you don't move on and get the right training and education?"

Maybe I'm the only guy you know who isn't a better football coach than the guy on the field; maybe I'm the only guy you know doesn't even know the rules of basketball, or hockey or soccer, or rugby, etc.; maybe I'm the only guy you know whose only real interest in baseball is statistical, but I know plenty of guys who are similar and make no pretense of expertise that they do not possess. But ... I am quite capable of coaching at rather a high level, in several other areas that do have extensive experience in. I was a nationally ranked fencer in college, I have taught my son to fence, for anything that he is going to encounter (below intercollegiate and Olympic fencing) there is little or nothing that a "real" coach will be able to do for him, my basics are strong and I can teach him the footwork and blade-work and conditioning drills that he needs (or for that matter everything that he should be concentrating on) up through the varsity high school or youth club levels. Now if he were some phenom, a nationally "A" rated fencer at 13, I would have to find him better coaching (which might be hard here on Hawaii). So why don't I go to all the coaching clinics on the mainland and open a studio? I'm not really that committed to it, that doesn't mean I could not do it, but making my living as a fencing master just isn't my gig. Similarly I've know (hell, I've trained) many, many fine divers who are also great diving mentors, far better than most instructors that you'd ever meet. But they have no interest in the BS of the field or paying dues, or carrying insurance, etc. They want to dive, and sometimes to be able to turn a relative or a friend on to diving and they do a fine job (I know because I often certified these "friends and family" under the experienced diver standards).
True but as you sad "True", that you get a wider student base that gives you more experience. I'm not GUE (yet?) but I've been around.:D
The only experienced gained is pounding many pegs into slightly off-sized holes. The primary lesson learned is how to wield a slightly larger hammer.
Driving automobiles/motorcycles, recreational boating, skydiving, hunting, use of internet...
Except for the internet (and I didn't know I needed a license there) all the things that you mentioned are licensed so as to protect the public from the participants, not the participants from harm that they might do themselves by participating in the activity, that's quite different.
I would still charge more to examine an OWD trained by somebody else than I charge for training and certifying OR NOT certifying my own student. Let's say that by losing the satisfaction of teaching, it becomes a "In God We Trust" job.
I guess that you don't really understand the concept of a good checkout. Please reread my write up of my experience with Walt Hendrick the U of Puerto Rico.

I will repeat my point from quite some time ago, in a more succinct fashion.

It is very possible that an experienced diver will prove to be a strong mentor who give you excellent instruction.

It is very possible that an experienced diver will prove to be a big mouth full of BS who will lead you astray.

It is very hard for a beginner to tell the difference.

I will repeat my point from quite some time ago, in a more succinct fashion.

It is very possible that an experienced diver will prove to be a strong mentor who give you excellent instruction.

It is very possible that an experienced diver will prove to be a big mouth full of BS who will lead you astray.

It is very hard for a beginner to tell the difference.
Amen.

But if I may add: It is very possible that a certified instructor will prove to be a big mouth full of BS who will lead you astray.

Amen.

But if I may add: It is very possible that a certified instructor will prove to be a big mouth full of BS who will lead you astray.

Thal, you are getting too predictable. After I posted I went to the Internet to make sure I had the following quote right in anticipation of your reply:

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that is the way to bet." Damon Runyon

At least with an instructor you have some clear measure of the person's qualifications. With others, you have only their word for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom