Do we need to use the butt plate.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen the waist d-ring secured with a non-toothed retainer - allowing the d-ring to be re-positioned during the dive. As the tanks get more buoyant, just slide the d-ring forwards on the waist strap. It worked well.

That would suggest entry without the tank and clipping on in the water. Or else the tank may shift upon entry and they'd have to readjust on the surface prior to descending. Not a bad solution but it would also mean repositioning for the second and any subsequent dives. If the D-ring is fixed with a serrated tri-slider it should prevent slipping so two D-rings would be ideal and thus no repositioning of the D-ring during and after each dive. I would be interested in hearing of any other solutions to this issue. Personally, I strap a weight to the tank before diving but I know others who don't like to do this.

These d-rings as suppose to be adjustable and slide on the webbing, has anyone tried them. OS-06-01_250.jpg

I am considering removing the butt plate all together. Does anyone see any reason not to?

On one of the forums the consensus was that a tin foil inthe side mounters helmet protects from the controlling mind waves of GuE divers and the butt plate ... You know....

Back mounters do not have to use them as they have tanks on the back.... :wink:

I am considering removing the butt plate all together. Does anyone see any reason not to?

That's a good question. There are several on the board that mentioned getting the Nomad JT and adding the buttplate. Those would be good people to ask.

If your tanks trim out without it, then you don't need it! For AL80's I don't use it. I have a 4 waist d rings, two on each side. They get clipped back on the beginning of the dive and moved forward when they are getting "floaty". I have not dove SM in steel, so I can't answer that. I have added a buttplate to try it out with steel though.

JamesK:6273173:
If your tanks trim out without it, then you don't need it! For AL80's I don't use it. I have a 4 waist d rings, two on each side. They get clipped back on the beginning of the dive and moved forward when they are getting "floaty". I have not dove SM in steel, so I can't answer that. I have added a buttplate to try it out with steel though.

My setup is the same with the four drings on the waist belt. I use mini drings and move the bolt snaps to the lower rings as the tanks get positive. I have left the butt plate on for now. I want to try my steel tanks on my waist dring before I remove my butt plate. I think I will need it for steels though.

When is use AL80 I attach them to the waist d-rings and move them forward when they get light. When I'm using steel it is usually in cold water in drysuit using large 4 1/2" clips to make easier to attach the tanks while wear heavy gloves and they seem to hang really low if I attach them to the waist d-rings. With steels I lengthen the the lanyard on the bottom attachment by about 1 1/2" and attach to the butt plate. I wish all sidemount rigs had detachable butt plates. I have a UTD and Golemn butt plate that I attach with sex bolts when needed.

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I used to use the regular drings and found out I had to much movement of the tanks. The low profile drings made a big difference IMO.

As far as that dring pictured above, if that fits two inch webbing, it looks like it sticks out 3 inches.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

When is use AL80 I attach them to the waist d-rings and move them forward when they get light. When I'm using steel it is usually in cold water in drysuit using large 4 1/2" clips to make easier to attach the tanks while wear heavy gloves and they seem to hang really low if I attach them to the waist d-rings. With steels I lengthen the the lanyard on the bottom attachment by about 1 1/2" and attach to the butt plate. I wish all sidemount rigs had detachable butt plates. I have a UTD and Golemn butt plate that I attach with sex bolts when needed.

Do you have pics of how you attached it? I just have my buttplate threaded through the webbing.

I hate the butt plate and prefer old school for the reason mentioned. I like the carrbiner attachment at the waist like was standard for sidemount,which always kept the tanks in place,no matter what the bouyancy level was like. One day,sidemounters will discover this,and as they say,what goes around,comes around.

Do you have any pictures of using this with steel tanks and then carrying AL80 stages?

Back
Top Bottom