Do you check-in or Carry-On your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my gear, so I put all I can in my roll-on: maximum L+W+D = 51" with most airlines, under 40# altho I have never seen one weighed. I put my Regs, Prescription Masks, Computers, and anything else I can in the roll-on, padded with some clothes and bubble wrap top & bottom. Except cameras - they go in my backpack, as my roll-on is gate checked for the Regional Jets, and I have seen cameras broke that way.

I also always do TravelSafe trip insurance for any international trip, to cover losses that would be excluded or severely limited by other coverages. My medical policy is worthless outside of the US, and the airlines are liable for only $9.07 per pound of checked luggage on international flights.

DandyDon:
I put all I can in my roll-on: maximum with most airlines, under 40# altho I have never seen one weighed.

As you expand your list of travel destinations, you stand to be rightly surprised. :11:

I carry on my regs, prescription mask and computer. Everything else goes underneath. This last trip to Key Largo I checked US Airways baggage allowance as far as scuba gear goes. They allow the following: "One empty scuba tank, one regulator, one pressure tank (?), one mask, two fins, one snorkel, one knife, one spear gun, one B.C. vest." ---- "in liew of a piece of baggage." I called them and asked if the "one piece of baggage" included the carry on. The person on the telephone said "yes" and "maybe" in a very Latin accent. So I'd check this out. Anyway, I figure to take my pony next time I go south. Since an AL80 weighs 35 pounds and the weight limit for luggage is 50 pounds you don't have many options. I figure to just rent them. One well known airlines I checked with wanted to charge me $100 each way for a pony bottle.

One well known airlines I checked with wanted to charge me $100 each way for a pony bottle.
Like to hear the rest of that story. I don't know that airlines have authority to look inside bags, do they? Anyway, I never had a problem with my pony - stuck in a bag.

A lot of this depends on whom you talk to on the phone, as well as who is workng on the desk when you arrive.

Oh goody, I am now an experienced travel diver, one trip, soon – that counts right?
Gotta check in re weight and size for airline + bring all the potential weapons of mass destruction as well. I’m going TO dive, might as well enjoy them. Reg, computer comes with as carry on. Also not much chance to loose with no connecting flights. So glad I can help.

Best wishes tho for getting it back. I was considering the DAN travel insurance for mainly damage. I think with a more complicated travel I’d be more inclined. Have to weigh the replacement vs ins. cost over life time.

Ahhh, good one, forgot mask, have to carry mask.

From another thread discussing the same thing:

I'm the exception it seems. I pack everything in my checked luggage. Sometimes I even check my laptop.

I use soft sided luggage to save weight. I pack all camera gear, ports, housings, strobes, chargers, yada yada yada into padded camera backpacks (mine are Canon but there are tons out there) with the padded dividers. You can also use clothes to add protection between items. I also use one of those big collapsible cooler bags ($9 from your local Walmart) - this time I packed the housing and arm bits etc in that.

The cooler bag is then used on site for transporting to/from the boat and as a rinse tank.

These bags go in the middle of the main bag surrounded by clothes, shoes, misc stuff around the edges. If I am taking my bcd one bag goes inside the bcd with the remaining dive gear stuffed in here or there.

I've never had a problem - knock wood. Yes, baggage handlers can be very rough, but my gear is packed securely and I don't worry about it too much. Yes, it can be stolen, but it's insured and I don't go to places where I can't hire something to get me through - even though that would be a pain, it's not a trip killer. And although I love my camera gear, I can use rental gear and still make some very nice images :wink:

And I just hate dragging all that stuff around various airports and onto multiple planes. Just not worth it. And I know how much I hate being near other passengers who have 400 pounds and multiple bags of crap taking all the luggage bins anywhere remotely near my seat so I try to be courteous myself.

There are certain airports at this time that I would try to carry on as much camera gear as possible, but I'm not traveling through those in the near future and there aren't that many of them on my list so that's an exception, not the norm for me.

When we travel we carry on our regs, computers, masks, and cameras. Everything else is checked. We also don't use luggage with logos on it that might advertise that we are carrying scuba gear.

CLEAR BLUE:
We also don't use luggage with logos on it that might advertise that we are carrying scuba gear.
If you did, it'd be less likely to be stolen. No street value on used Scuba gear. Yeah, it cost you a fortune, but the rare airport thief wants something he can sell.

I check everything. I used to carryon my prescription mask until I decided that it was at more risk of being broken in carryon than properly packed in checked baggage. Even if lost, my prescription is less than -2 diopter, so diving with a plain mask works, even if not ideal.

When going to most dive destinations, everything except the camera can be easily rented.

Back
Top Bottom