Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OlderDiver:
see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling
[/QUOTE]
I remember when I started diving and I bought a snorkle. It didn't get used but I took it with me everytime. But then as a beginner there was a gadget desire that made me carry many unneeded things. One time the snorkle was bumped and fell while on the surface, the snorkle sank and was lost.
Since then I haven't bothered to replace it, but if I was I would get one that is folded up and stored 99% of the time.
I recently borrowed one for a snorkle in a jellyfish lake, was well worth it.

The equipment I wear depends upon the conditions in which I'm diving. This not only applies to my snorkel but to everything else I decide to wear on a given dive.

I always use a snorkel. It gives you flexibility on the surface when you have to wait on your buddy (I rather be in the water than baking in my wetsuit, snorkel reaches higher than your mouth) and even saves you air in limited situations, usually when surfacing to far from the boat and you need to surface swim.

gpatton:
Using a snorkel is a certainly a personal choice. - - we lose 2 to 3 diver per year because they are swept away in the current.

I agree, a snorkel is a certainly a personal choice. My pockets on BC are huge so I just tuck one in if I feel I'm going to need it when I return to the surface.

As for gettting swift away by the current I think everyone should have these ACR 406 MHz Personal Locator Beacon along with anunderwater canister
If you click on the links and get sticker shock just ask yourself, which is more valuable, the cash in your pocket or your life? Does anybody carry a pony bottle or spare air?

OK,

Now explain why I've carried one for 20 years in my gearbag and never worn it. I even bought a new one a couple years ago when I lost the old one.

I know, me stupid...but hey it doesn't weigh much. And I always have these fantasies about snorkeling with a Whale Shark.

I've gotta get one of those folding Sherwood Avid's.

I use my snorkel, when I go snorkeling. I've learned why it's more trouble than it's worth when diving. I find that it's more of an entangling hazzard, it disrupts my streamlining, and is one more thing that can be lost, but as most have mentioned, that's my personal preference.

I dive with both a long hose and a snorkel. But I agree with the others it all depends on where you dive and personal preferences. The mask tug caused by the snorkel in a strong current is a pain and does ruin your streamlining somewhat (it also tends to wobble and bang against the side of your head in very strong current). It also can be an entanglement hazard. I also agree that it is much easier to surface swim on my back.

Why you may ask do I still wear rather than carry my snorkel.

Firstly, the snorkel is extremely useful should you need to be on the surface in rough weather and for one reason or another you can't use your reg (low air, don't want to waste air waiting, etc). I was involved in a rescue situation once and the diver I was pulling in didn't have his snorkel. We were in 2+ meter waves and he had severe difficulties breathing in between being smashed by the waves (he had to be rescue as he ran out of air). A snorkel would have helped significantly.

As for carrying a snorkel in the BC pocket, I really don’t see the logic in that. Masks and snorkels sink!! Why would anybody take their mask off and try to put a snorkel on it either while they’re bobbling up and down on the surface or underwater?

Secondly, if you ever had to do a long service swim it is more convenient to use a snorkel and swim facing down. The problem with swimming on the back is that I can’t see where I am going.

And yes, those collapsible snorkels do work well.

And ChrisSparks is right, a PLB should be an essential piece of scuba gear (I'm sure many of you have heard of stories of divers left behind). Sea Marshall (http://www.seamarshall.com/ ) make some very good PLB / EPIRBs. They're the standard issue for the US military divers and oil rig workers. One thing to keep in mind though is that the current frequency used by most EPRIBs of 121.5 MHz will be phased out worldwide by 2009. The much more expensive 406 MHz will become the EPIRB standard.

OlderDiver:
How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling
Why puzzling? It has no useful purpose what so ever. Id be more surprised to see someone wearing one.

OlderDiver:
(1) It doesn't cost anything to wear it, (2) it's not uncomfortable, (3) you might need it and (4) That's the way I've always done it. :)

1) It costs the price of a snorkel
2) It can be uncomfortable but more to the point it can snag, drag, pull
3) Nope. There is no situation ever were you will need a snorkel diving
4) Time to think of improved methods..

5) Why carry something that has no use at all? Following your logic i may as well go diving with a childrens toy strapped to my head. Doesnt cost much and equally as useless.

String:
1) It costs the price of a snorkel
2) It can be uncomfortable but more to the point it can snag, drag, pull
3) Nope. There is no situation ever were you will need a snorkel diving
4) Time to think of improved methods..

5) Why carry something that has no use at all? Following your logic i may as well go diving with a childrens toy strapped to my head. Doesnt cost much and equally as useless.

i like this man

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom