Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pilot fish:
I see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling
The main reason not to wear a snorkel tied to your mask is that it creates drag it interferes with vision and if you should enter an overhead inviroment it might catch. The result could be that one would loose the mask. It is quite feasibble that an inexperienced diver would panic at that point with catastrophic results

I always wore a snorkel until my Rescue class. The Instructor wanted the class to pull their masks down, instead of backwards on top of the head. The thing kept poking me in the eye! I have'nt used one since, but there have been some long surface swims where I wish I had one(Hilma Hooker comes to mind).

scubaboy44:
I have'nt used one since, but there have been some long surface swims where I wish I had one(Hilma Hooker comes to mind).

lol... i did that surface swim on my back, nice and relaxed... got to the buoy
fresh and rested, and then started my dive.

on the way back, i just stayed under water the whole way... nice long "safety" stop

:wink:

Hi PilotFish,

I was using the snorkel during my novice days until I realised that most, if not all, experienced divers, did not use them. Without the snorkel dangling from your mask I find it more comfortable and being more streamlined it conserves some air.

However, there was an incident in my 66th dive when I had to swim against strong current from the stern of the boat to the bow to descend down the anchor line. The waves were choppy and water keep rushing into my mouth. I tried using a regulator and it just free-flowed. How I wished I had brought along my snorkel!

Since then I've tied two short loops of bungee cord to the bottom holes of my back-plate to hold my snorkel in a horizontal position snugly behind my back. It doen't get in the way, no risk of entanglement, my streamlined profile is intact and if I surface in bad weather it's there for me.

String:
5) Why carry something that has no use at all? Following your logic i may as well go diving with a childrens toy strapped to my head. Doesnt cost much and equally as useless.

Hey Taff
Which childs toy will you strap to your head and will you send us the photos? LMAO

OlderDiver:
I wore it when I was 47, also; and still do at 68. Sir Winston might have been prepared to meet his Maker, as I am; however, I have a few things I'd like to finish here before I go. LIfe is good.

I really hope i am still diving at 68, and have the patience to debate with people such as myself.
Good on you mate.

Surface swimming (especially in chop) is only one of the purposes of a snorkel on a dive. A snorkel is a tool. Fixing/adjusting you or your buddy's equipment while in the water can sometimes require having the face in to see what you are doing. Previewing your descent also reqires a face down position. Using your reg is a needless waste and holding your breath is tedious.

Entanglement is a matter of knowing where your space is and proper positioning. In my 28 years of diving, I have to admit that there times when I wondered why I wore mine, however when it is needed and used, it always pays off.

Anyone here dive in Queensland (Aus)? I was told that snorkles were required (to be carried, not necessarily worn) when diving ...Anyone got facts on that? a source?

Hardy Sieck:
It is quite feasibble that an inexperienced diver would panic at that point with catastrophic results

I witnessed one incident last year where a snorkel contributed to making things worse.

3 of us waiting at the bottom of the shot line at 40m / 130ft for divers to get off it before we started our ascents and deco.

Down come a few divers, one of which is wearing a snorkel. The bloke looks fairly narc'd as he comes down the line, he turns his head sharply, the snorkel catches on the shot line rope, he twists his head to look a bit further and the snorkel/rope tangle not proceeds to rip his mask off. Now you have a narc'd suddenly blinded diver at 130ft. It turned into a buddy assisted rescue. What use is a 30cm tube at 130ft !?

Azza:
Hey Taff
Which childs toy will you strap to your head and will you send us the photos? LMAO

It has been done :)

Have also dived with someone with devil horns attached to his hood. Fairly odd sight at depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom