do you ever notice negativity between dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear that about LDS's hating Leisurepro.com At my LDS the shop owner is a SCUBAPRO dealer and sells many other things as well. I know in the SP catalog they have set prices on items. She sells other things like tanks,lights,bags ect.ect. anything not SP for 2-3X the amount you can get it on Leisurepro.com. I have told her a number of times people cant afford to pay $89 for a light W/100 lumins when you can get a 900lumin for the same price. Same things with bags leisure sells it for $$ LDS sells it for $$$. I asked her to be a little competitive when it comes to this but she refuses. She would rather lose out totally lose out on the sale then try to make up the loss in volume. She wonders why she is always so broke and about to go under.

I love to support my LDS but I refuse to pay 3X the amount for something I can get online. With the way the economy is and jobs hard to come by people are not just going to pay retail anymore. Dive shops on bulk orders can get things 25 to 50% below dealer cost and there is a 100% mark up on retail cost from dealer cost so takeing a little loss on a retail item to be competitive wont kill you and in the long run could save the ONLY dive shop in our town.

You know I think that its great to service gear. Even though they did not make the sale initially it is money in the till for the service charge. I would think a little money is better then no money at all. Besides maybe they will make a great impression and make a customer want to come back and buy at a later date!

That's so true ... and it amazes me that so many people don't get it.

Earlier this year I had a student put a small tear in her drysuit during a class. I called the shop I normally do business with ... at 3 PM on a Saturday ... to see if maybe I could get her a wetsuit or something to finish the class up the next day. He said send her down and he'd fix her up. His shop's an hour away from the dive site, so I figure it was close to quitting time by the time she got down there. She showed up the next day with her drysuit all repaired ... told me Wally stayed late, fixed it while she waited, and didn't even charge her for the repair.

The lady and her husband have since purchased a a bunch of gear from the shop, not to mention bringing their friends down there ... and they don't even live near the place.

That "little repair", as Wally put it, probably earned him a customer for life ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So far, the only business that any dive shop has bad mouthed is Leasure Pro - which seems to be the universal villain of the LDS.

...in the Dallas Ft. Worth Texas area, mentioning Scubatoys will invoke a response as virulent as any generated by Leisure Pro by some of my LDSs. I was banned, in so many words, by one LDS when I accidentally mentioned Scubatoys!

I was once diving on holiday and the LDS owner was so outraged when I told him I bought all my gear from Leisurepro that he considered kicking me off his boat. I sympathise with the struggles of LDSs, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

I know of at least 2 Dallas Ft. Worth Texas dive shops that will give customer's a loud verbal dressing down if they hear/catch you buying from the WWW......and I've personally been 'dressed down' by one of them.....let's just say we've broken off diplomatic relations, to put it mildly!

I know of at least 2 Dallas Ft. Worth Texas dive shops that will give customer's a loud verbal dressing down if they hear/catch you buying from the WWW......and I've personally been 'dressed down' by one of them.....let's just say we've broken off diplomatic relations, to put it mildly!

Well, you know what Forrest Gump's mama always used to say ... and I ain't referring to the box of chocolates ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I hear that about LDS's hating Leisurepro.com At my LDS the shop owner is a SCUBAPRO dealer and sells many other things as well. I know in the SP catalog they have set prices on items. She sells other things like tanks,lights,bags ect.ect. anything not SP for 2-3X the amount you can get it on Leisurepro.com. I have told her a number of times people cant afford to pay $89 for a light W/100 lumins when you can get a 900lumin for the same price. Same things with bags leisure sells it for $$ LDS sells it for $$$. I asked her to be a little competitive when it comes to this but she refuses. She would rather lose out totally lose out on the sale then try to make up the loss in volume. She wonders why she is always so broke and about to go under.

I love to support my LDS but I refuse to pay 3X the amount for something I can get online. With the way the economy is and jobs hard to come by people are not just going to pay retail anymore. Dive shops on bulk orders can get things 25 to 50% below dealer cost and there is a 100% mark up on retail cost from dealer cost so takeing a little loss on a retail item to be competitive wont kill you and in the long run could save the ONLY dive shop in our town.

I agree whole heartedly on this. I know of a dive shop I went to in the past where the owner beleived that MSRP is the only price with no exception. I spoke with many divers over the years and they were totaly turned away from this shop.

I even spoke once with a dive club leader who mentioned that several of that areas local dive shops got together and attempted to get some sort of agreement on how to better serve the area and entice more divers. One of the suggestions was to work on sales somewhat where the potential new diver had a chance to get into the sport at a more reasonable cost and the reply was that they will not sale any items below MSRP.

Now in my area especially the dive industry is drying up rather quickly as there were once about 5 diver shops and a few sporting good stores around who sold dive gear as well. these sporting good stores folded up and 3 of the other shops went under leaving only 2 shops behind.

Of these two shops there is a since of bad blood in the air though I try to stay out of the middle of it. One of the dive clubs I belong too has alot of members who cants stand Shop A because of various reasons (Out of respect I wont mention these). Dive Shop B has a larger percentage of divers who go there in this dive group.

Dive shop B is not as large as alot of the shops say in Oklahoma City or even Joplins shops but it does carry a considerable amount of dive gear that divers need.

Now I have been to dive shops in the past and asked about LeisurePro (before I really understood the diffrences) and he came unglued. I was told that they are a grey market seller who was selling merchandise without Manufacturers warranty. They do however carry this on some merchandise and those that do not honor their sales for warranty they carry their own in house warranty which is great!

Some items I understand the need for warranty like regulators but Aqualungs sling shots which I use only have a 2 year manufacturers warranty. They wont honor LeisurePro as an authorized seller but Leisurepro offers 2 year in house.

I have said it before and have to say it again though. When these shop owners complain about being undersold how many of them shop at walmart for their groceries and have in part helped run the mom and pop stores out of buisness because they saved money at walmart. Now arent they being unfair to the small town grocery store?

What about when they buy new cars do they shop around or just walk onto a lot and say give me a mustang at MSRP I dont need a discount?

it amazes me that so many people don't get it

Since so many shops "don't get it" and are clearly bent on commercial suicide, has it occurred to you that possibly there may be reasons you haven't spotted? Most people don't set out in business with the deliberate intention of failing.

Since so many shops "don't get it" and are clearly bent on commercial suicide, has it occurred to you that possibly there may be reasons you haven't spotted?

Such as ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What I might say is irrelevant. Doesn't it make you wonder that SO many people who have invested their money and futures in a business seem to make what to you is the same elementary yet fundamental mistake?

What I might say is irrelevant.

Humor me ... it's Christmas.

Clearly people do not go into business with the notion of failing. So why do they fail?

My contention is that it's because (a) they often don't understand the realities of running a business, and (b) they operate within the constraints of an antiquated system that limits their ability to adapt to the changes that internet shopping have brought to the marketplace. To use an analogy, they're trying to sell Walkman in an iPod market.

To make a successful dive shop in today's market you have to offer a positive customer experience, products people want to buy, and at a price they can justify paying. Gone forever are the days when people will assign "loyalty" out of anything other than self-interest. So in order to be successful, you have to make it in their best interest to support you and keep your business healthy and available to them.

Those dive shops out there who understand those principles appear to me to be doing quite well. The rest will become the victims of an evolving market, and will go the way of the dodo bird.

If you think I'm missing something, please go ahead and point it out ... I'm willing to listen ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom