Do you have a minimum viz or temp for a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last dive was less than 10 inch viz at Ohio River..... It was a part of environmental project..... So, there is no limitation to me.......

We did security sweeps of the Disney ship in PV this season, just before they sailed. About 12" of vis, but very high water temps and very dark. Had to wear full suits to avoid too many scrapes and bruises, left us sweating.

ScubaSixString:
Thanks guys

IT was a couple o hours from orlando. Perhaps the attached pic (sorry its drawn from memory (and this was 10 years ago) will help. Supposedly there is a $5000 camera system under the rock that was dropped over the cave entrance (if that urban legend helps id the place.

Morrison drops down like that, the lower cavern entrance is around 55', but can vary with water levels.

This is Morrison from the surface, when river levels are fairly low. Here is a shot of the basin where it funnels down and drops to the cavern entrances. Note the cypress tree laying across the opening.

I haven't heard the camera legend, but can you elaborate? :D I could use some external strobes - LOL

Dive-aholic:
My bad. I missed the part about the entry being blown. I read sock shaped and thought of Orange City Blue Spring right away.

The attached pic looks like Orange City Blue Spring, too, kind of.

Yeah, it kind of looks like Morrison too :) I guess alot of these places look similar?

Jarrett:
I guess at this point, scuba is all about what I can see underwater. If there's nothing to see, then I'm not interested.

Perhaps you are limiting yourself. For me, vision is merely one sensation. Weightlessness is a major draw to diving as is the feeling of the ocean (or whatever body of water) caressing my entire body. I love the subtle sounds I encounter on dives. I often dive Venice Beach in less than 2 feet of viz. In addition to the other sensations, I see Crabs reaching up to defend themselves, Sea Robins crawling along the bottom, Mantis Shrimp peering from their dens, Flounder blending in with the bottom, Medusa Worms sending out their tentacles, Sand Perch nipping at my beard, Belted Sandfish fliting about, Fighting Conch thumping along, not long ago I saw a huge migration of nudibranchs heading south. Low viz can be wonderful conditions for great dives.

Walter:
Perhaps you are limiting yourself. For me, vision is merely one sensation. Weightlessness is a major draw to diving as is the feeling of the ocean (or whatever body of water) caressing my entire body. I love the subtle sounds I encounter on dives. I often dive Venice Beach in less than 2 feet of viz. In addition to the other sensations, I see Crabs reaching up to defend themselves, Sea Robins crawling along the bottom, Mantis Shrimp peering from their dens, Flounder blending in with the bottom, Medusa Worms sending out their tentacles, Sand Perch nipping at my beard, Belted Sandfish fliting about, Fighting Conch thumping along, not long ago I saw a huge migration of nudibranchs heading south. Low viz can be wonderful conditions for great dives.

And I thought I was the only one that was easy to please. Those conditions give the dive a sense of place for me. Now if my wife can get comfy in the murk :11:

Pete

Walter:
And a little underwater vollyball! :wink:

I agree wholeheartly with Walter. Low vis diving forces you to see the small stuff, to take your time and really appreciate your surroundings much more. Sometimes I see more during a low vis dive than one with 60ft. vis. I mean, there are only so many parrotfish, porkfish, and grunts you can see before you say...ho hum...but then get totally excited cause you found that 1/2" nudibranch, or a sailfin blenny.

For temp, the coldest I've ever been is 50 degrees, but that's because it's as cold as the Pacific gets in this part of California. It's simply a matter of having the right exposure protection; if the temperature gets much into the low 50's then I need a dry suit to enjoy the dives.

For visibility: I'll dive in most anything, except when the visibility is less than the surge ... found myself ramming into too many urchins and reefs when that happens. If the visibility is less than a couple feet then it's probably not worth the hassle. Above 3', however, it's fine. Low visibility diving can actually be quite peaceful, but you've got to feel comfortable solo diving because, even if you have a buddy, you really don't. If you cruise slow over the reef you can find more animals than normal. Having said that, I only dive in low vis in sites I know very well.

MyDiveLog:
I'll dive in most anything, except when the visibility is less than the surge ... found myself ramming into too many urchins and reefs when that happens. If the visibility is less than a couple feet then it's probably not worth the hassle.

I agree it's important to differentiate between low visibility and hostile conditions.

Pete

Jarrett,
I see you have received 7 pages of responses in one day so I doubt you are following this thread,but in the chance that you are, I'll give you my thoughts as a diver from your area. Vis in Texas is mostly poor. If you want greater than 10ft vis you will be limited in sites and time of year unless you are primarily a vacation diver. There are places in the state you can go for decent vis if you don't mind driving long distances. For me low vis(3ft) isn't for enjoyment as much as for experience. This will help you remain calm with vertigo(you may experience during a silt out in a formerly great vis location). I've also found that great vis in the deep blue ocean can make people feel the vis is poor unless they have a point of reference. Low vis in Texas lakes is mostly due to algae blooms. Your best chance to avoid those conditions are high ph water, spring fed water flowing in or colder temps. As for your comfort level with temperature, it is a factor of what your mind is willing to accept and your exposure protection. I enjoy cold water diving because I enjoy visiting places that have great things to see but happen to have colder water. If you want to try colder water, research some tips on these forums and have someone take you out for your first attempt. You will probably enjoy the experience most if you visit a place that has something to see worth the discomfort your first try may give you. Seeing a Texas muddy bottom with low vis in cold water may be harder for you to feel it was worth it. Some people enjoy diving so much any condition is better than waiting. From your post, you don’t sound to be in this group. If you go to cold water properly protected, properly informed, see something great and you find you don’t want to repeat it – you will probably never be a cold water diver. Some people only dive tropical and that may be what fits you best. Others find cold water enjoyable.

Personally I’ve dove in the low 40s and still enjoyed it (both drysuit and wetsuit). Enough that I would like to visit Alaska or Antarctica some day and see something new but even colder. Only you can decide how cold you will go. Just try to decide based on the proper protection and practices.

Back
Top Bottom