Do you have to calibrate dive computer depth guages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto analog depth gauges have a feature I have not seen on other brands that does allow you to calibrate the depth gauge. (the intention is to allow calibration for altitude) If your analog is the one that is wrong it might not be defective, it might just require adjustment.
If you do have a Suunto SM16 depth gauge, here's how you'd calibrate it: First, does your gauge read 0 at the surface? If so, t should be fine. If not (above or below), there's a screw on the side of the gauge at the 3 o'clock position. Slowly turn it until the face lines up with the 0 at the water's surface. Easy enough, but there's no manual to outright tell you that.

Another thing to check, make sure the max depth indicator isn't on too tight. You should be able to easily turn it with your fingernail. I just had to send one back to Suunto because the max depth needle wouldn't let the other needle move past it. It's a bit annoying to be 80ft down and your analog says 20.

So I contacted Suunto about it and am going to send it in to them and they are going to check it out. It's still under warranty so I might as well do it since I won't be using it any time in the really near future. Tomorrow I will ship it out and hopefully they fix something with it!

Just a quick update. They finally shipped it back to me Friday so I will be receiving it next week. According to my RMA request, they replaced the 'pressure sensor' which I am assuming is the sensor that is used to measure depth. It took a bit longer than they initially told me, and I called and they had told me they were just running behind by like 10 days, but it's fine because I won't be using it until March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom