Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

• I close eyes

Votes: 70 29.4%
  • My eyes stay open

Votes: 95 39.9%
  • Depends, I close eyes in certain conditions (eg salt, cold, particles)

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • My mask never comes off and I don’t get water in mask

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the idea that salt water "stings", take a guess at the salinity of your tears...
The ocean has a salinity of 35000ppm while the salinity of human tears is around 9000ppm. My eyes burn for hours if I get salt water in them.

That's exceedingly odd that your eyes would burn for any noticeable period of time. Blinking a few times would reduce the salt content back to that of your tears. If you're burning for hours, that is not normal at all. I hardly notice any difference.

That's exceedingly odd that your eyes would burn for any noticeable period of time. Blinking a few times would reduce the salt content back to that of your tears. If you're burning for hours, that is not normal at all. I hardly notice any difference.

Since having lasik, my eyes are prone to drying out.

I notice the same stinging sensation as others when I get salt water in my eyes, but only after I replace my mask and/or surface (in other words, it doesn't bother my while my eyes are open in the water, and afterward the discomfort rarely lasts more than a few minutes).

Mine burn too....I end up blinking and keeping my eyes shut until I can produce tears to wash it away. Oddly enough, even keeping my eyes closed when I do it, and then opening them ends up giving the same feeling, but not as bad. If I don't have to open my eyes, I don't. I'm curious, however, if the stinging would disappear if I left my eyes open in the salt water for long enough.

Ahhhh. So I'm NOT the only sensitive guy in the room.

I had been opening my eyes underwater ever since I was a kid. When I did my OW checkouts, my instructor told me that was not a good thing in open water -- too much risk of debris, infection etc.

He made me re-do my mask removal skill check...It made sense - no sense risking the eyes more than I did when I was younger; we're only given one set....

working...eyes stay open.
salt (or sub 65 degree F)...eyes are closed unless looking for mask. Yes, it (salt) burns my eyes for 15 minutes or so.
otherwise...60:40::eek:pen:closed. Not much difference but more likely to be open.

I had been opening my eyes underwater ever since I was a kid. When I did my OW checkouts, my instructor told me that was not a good thing in open water -- too much risk of debris, infection etc.

He made me re-do my mask removal skill check...It made sense - no sense risking the eyes more than I did when I was younger; we're only given one set....

Your instructor’s worry sounds a teeeensy bit overblown to me. Even here on Scubaboard we do not have members frequently posting about eye infections/irritations, and for sure quite a large proportion of people keep their eyes open while clearing/removing masks, even in stinky pools. Some in this thread tell they do it even with contact lenses on which at least for me was always a bigger risk of irritation.

I do not dive contaminated waters per se, but for 4 years I have dived in all kinds of gunky lakes, rivers and quarries, less so in messy oceans but I have never had “eye incidents’. My eyes do get irritated from salt water more than fresh water (even gunkier fresh water). Some salt water is more irritating than some other, and some days my eyes are more irritated (dry/tired whatever) than others regardless of where I dive. Pool water is most irritating as it dries eyes like crazy but I do keep eyes open when I swim too. Like someone said wrong sun screens/lotions are way more of an irritant than water has ever been – to me at least.

I just do not buy the statement that one has to be very scared of opening eyes in “common” waters due to huge risk of eye infection or injury. If you have extremely delicate eyes, of course you need to protect them more than others but if they are so delicate you might have to consider further steps to protect yourself, like full-face mask. For normal exposure, I can’t see reason for hysteria, there isn't after all even any known diver’s eye syndrome recognized.

Back
Top Bottom