Do you mind helping a noob select gear for the PNW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know Bob well, but I do know him to be a serious, honest, and generous poster here on SB, as I expect he is in live diving - and I am sure he has no ulterior motives.

So often I hear about students who hated their OW class as they were rushed thru, ill prepared for the environment, cold, put off by the viz challenges - and those are the ones who don't bail and quit. I certified in 75F degree clear spring water, my next diving was in 62F clear spring water and we had challenges with that. My bud quit for a couple of years, never would have got back in without me urging him along. I still cannot get him to dive Calf waters much less Puget. Good preparation and training is going to make or break a lot of people; I don't think you could have stopped me but that's me.

And I loved it there, would love to do it again. Everyone handles chilling differently, but I was in my late 50s last time I did it, in a 7 mile jump suit over a 1 mil, and was fine except for my beanie and booties. I'll come back with the same suits, heavier hood, neoprene socks for my booties, and maybe a bigger light, but I enjoyed poking around the haze to see what was there. Even the screw-ups were funny in a way - especially after I found my lost buddy on the surface, him headed one way in current, me headed the other, the boat spinning.
bananawhip.gif

Let me start off, I had a great deep deco dive today cause the sun came out, and brighten it up.

There is no contest that bob knows this area and dive instruction throughout, Why?, cause he dives all the time.

NWgratefuldiver has Quoted me on many occasions on my mistakes or my memory laps, and his personal opion, thats whats good about cyberdiving.

It should be Obvious that I will defend diver, instructors, dive shops, diveshop owners, the whole dive industry, charters, the captains,etc.

Exuse me had to cange whip over on tank.

Ts&m you told bigfame that you pm'd him instructors for his open water, I understand you patronize northwest sportsdivers, thats great even bubbles below.

Bigfame mention Harry's, would probably take class there, but the diversfair special is going on.

I said what bob said, so it was amy who put the $500 price on the table, the truth here is yes you will spend that money at any dive shop when you buy Gloves, booties, mask,snorkel finns.

So my opion is get certified and go diving is the best way to learn to dive. If you get a great instructor congrats to ya, I have seen many times where scubaboarders were recomended any were just furious over it.

Not all people take to another thats life, a person that can take to another and get the knowledge through is a peson that is in high regard. Some instructors want to be that way and have hard time getting there.

So if I'm unfair in my said statement, It's cause I believe things are not what is said and have or found the logical answer, about bob,s gimmick well sometimes ya add a few twist to get the point across, sorry bob I know you are for the best instruction so when you get to the divesite there is no real emergency's and every diver has a safe dive.

Deco tanks need filled.

Happy Diving

Bigfame- one thing i would ask depending on where you get certified- Find out who the instructor is and ask to meet them before the class. Ask around about the person.

Well I went up to NWSD today intending to at the very least have someone in the know help me select a mask. I figured even if I didn't get my c card situation resolved soon I would still enjoy a mask that fit right. They have limited hours on Sunday and I was on the job so I had to be strategic in stopping by. I was totally honest with the guy working, about what little gear I have, what little I know, and what decisions I have been trying to work out. He answered all my questions, helped me select a good fitting mask (I even shaved so at the very east I would know it fit the way it was supposed to. He answered questions about fins (showed me the turtle/xl scubapros or whatever) and talked to me about what works, what works well, what I could make do with now etc. We talked about the classes, and the cost, and how it breaks down, and it became clear that I would get more for my money here than at the class I was looking at at UWS. So I have decided to skip UWS all together, and let the folks at NWSD help me give myself the very best chance at becoming a scuba diver. He even told me not to buy the mask as it will come with the class which I will now be signing up for sooner than I had planned to take it.

I want to thank you all for your info, for your time, and for your honesty. With your help I think I have made the best decision I can.

Good choice. NWSD is not the only good shop, or the only good instruction, but they ARE good people and they do have good instructors.

Once you have your cert, give me a shout, and I'll take you diving.

I will gladly take you up on that offer TSandM, thank you again for your help both in regards to this post here as well as the PM you sent me, all very helpful.

I will gladly take you up on that offer TSandM, thank you again for your help both in regards to this post here as well as the PM you sent me, all very helpful.
You are getting help and offers from some of the best. Gawd I wish I'd known about SB in 2001, but then I didn't even know how to turn a computer on then, and SB has improved a lot since then too.

Great thread, should be helpful to others as well. :thumb:

BF...it sounds like you are on the road to getting certified. Congrats! The guys at NWSD will take good care of you. Hope to see you in the water.

Well I went up to NWSD today intending to at the very least have someone in the know help me select a mask. I figured even if I didn't get my c card situation resolved soon I would still enjoy a mask that fit right. They have limited hours on Sunday and I was on the job so I had to be strategic in stopping by. I was totally honest with the guy working, about what little gear I have, what little I know, and what decisions I have been trying to work out. He answered all my questions, helped me select a good fitting mask (I even shaved so at the very east I would know it fit the way it was supposed to. He answered questions about fins (showed me the turtle/xl scubapros or whatever) and talked to me about what works, what works well, what I could make do with now etc. We talked about the classes, and the cost, and how it breaks down, and it became clear that I would get more for my money here than at the class I was looking at at UWS. So I have decided to skip UWS all together, and let the folks at NWSD help me give myself the very best chance at becoming a scuba diver. He even told me not to buy the mask as it will come with the class which I will now be signing up for sooner than I had planned to take it.

I want to thank you all for your info, for your time, and for your honesty. With your help I think I have made the best decision I can.

Good deal. To address some of the concerns re sending you to a particular shop, I really don't have a dog in that hunt, but I can only recommend who I know and trust.

The "don't buy it now because it will come with the class" part is great to me, there was a chance to make a quick sale, but they'll push that off down the line because it makes more sense for you.

Reality is this: their business model is to train you to be a safe, competent diver. That means you'll dive more, enjoy it more, and probably, at the end of the day, spend more money than you would elsewhere. But, in return, you are going to get so much more out of it, so the value of the money spent, in my opinion, will be much greater.

If you see me in there, say hi, and I'll second Lynne's (TSandM's) offer of taking you diving at some point.

-Doug

Back
Top Bottom