Do you travel with tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The post about AL80s and depth got a lot of comments from people about 80s not being sufficient for a lot of dives that some of us would like to do. As such it got me wondering. I'm still very new and have only dived on travel while in Kona, HI. I dived with two separate shops and they both had AL80s as their rentals. All the shops local to me in the DC area also use AL80s as their rentals.

So my question is, for those that prefer bigger tanks or deeper dives, do you travel with your own tanks or do a lot of shops make provisions for larger tanks for some customers? How do you deal with the vacation dives that are deep?

EDIT: I'm making the assumption that most people dive singles on vacation, even scubaboard folks...

Most of my diving, I drive, so yes I travel with my own tanks.

Vacations where I fly, I will get tanks appropriate for the dive. Sometimes it's 72's, 80's or 100's. On some occasions I'll get doubles and I've been known carry a stage bottle strap and just sling an 80 at times. That's pretty simple to do and a stage strap doesn't take much room to pack.

Locally I travel with my own tanks. I don't like ALI's and prefer my steel 12l fabers for rec diving.

With practice, meditation, yoga, controlled air breathing, etc., your air consumption can improve dramatically. I've always found AL80s to be fine whilst travelling. For last 400 dives, average dive time 75 min, for max depth 70 ft.
Dude you got a great RMV!
At 70' square for 75min, With 500psi left, starting with 3000psi, that's like 0.28 RMV, if I figured it right. (Not including safety stop)
I'm VERY Jealous :depressed:

Meh, if you are that worried about it then spend 20 bux and make yourself a stage kit, buy a second reg setup, and pack it when you travel.

For myself personally, I've done plenty of dives to 100 feet with an 80 on my back. If I'm using Nitrox then I dive air tables to the limit and begin my ascent, I normally have plenty of gas left for ascent at that point.

Peace,
Greg

To be clear, I'm not worried about traveling or needing anything larger than an 80. I have Al80s I use for local and when I drive to FL next month. I was curious what all the folks who say "for 100' depth AL80s aren't sufficient" and similar statements do when they travel to vacation destinations.

I'm too new to worry about anything deep at this point and don't seem to be too much of a hoover, from what I can tell, I was just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom