Do you use reg. necklace for your primary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got the impression that it was planned.
If you're sharing air via drills, or for pure practice sake go for it
I personally stay on my own gas source and terminate the dive at the agreed pressure... i dive with other fatties anyway, so we're hardly going to be doing long run times on a single tank, hence no one is dissapointed by ending the dive whenever.

Once again, we're all free to dive our own way

*raises hand* (Teacher) "yes" *is the class over now?* "NO" "as bad as it may seem, someone will say something that will connect the dots. *but it ALL takes place underwater so why is everyone so different?* "class is over"

"Simplest Solution is usually the best" --Occam's Razor

If Boxcar finds it easier & comfortable to dive that way and rationalizes it to be workable for his/her type of diving . . .great!

If the Overhead Divers want to be consistent and practice their techniques & procedures across to non-technical, open water recreation diving . . .well that's great too!

It's all good people . . .as long as you make it back to the surface alive:wink:

I have noticed more divers are borrowing another safety tip from tech divers and using necklaces to keep the alternate reg. close by. Does anyone use the necklaces just for their primary? So if they are on the surface and want to let the primary out of their mouth to talk or something else the primary is right there at their mouth to be quickly and easily put back in.

Just wanted to see what others may think or be doing.

Thanks.

This question was about wearing a necklace on a primary..kinda gettin a bit off topic huh?

TS&M I think you should just give up. You have tried to educate people & they still refuse to accept your reasoning. Though you do put forward some good reasons.

When we are taught to dive we are taught to donate the alternate, which is always secured somewhere on the upper body. There again in an ideal world with planning your dive & diving your plan, what could go wrong. Why would you need to use the alternate.

People need to put themselves in the out of air diver position, & think about there actions, swim over to there buddy, tap them gently to make them aware, then do the slash across the neck indicating that you are out of air, then wait whilst the buddy, unclips, un fastens or what ever & donates his spare, Don’t forget to press the purge cos by this time its been a long time since you had a breath of air, pray that it is still working, because it was never tried on the surface, then breathe normally. Sounds great.

In reality, out of air consists of a panicking diver swimming to their buddy if they are not next to them & taking a reg that they know works & taking a good breathe of air. & the only reg that we all know works is the one in the mouth.
Apart from using a long hose for Tec diving it also has benefits for rec & wrapping it around your neck is one of the better places to have it. It can be donated quickly without any fasteners, clips, Velcro or other such items to hinder you & can then be easily put back in position.

TS&M I think you should just give up.

She did, about a week ago. As did I, the diving philistine.

But I think it was a really good idea for you to revive this thread so you could add your .02 cents.... Wait a minute, no I don't. Actually, I kind of hope that no one takes your invitation to re-explore this subject, but to each their own.

When we are taught to dive we are taught to donate the alternate, which is always secured somewhere on the upper body.
Actually, its interesting to see that the primary on the long hose is still within what PADI calls the "golden triangle" in their OW manual (I checked). IIRC this is more about the Air2 type secondaries (where the primary hose is also donated), but in both cases donating the primary actually meets PADI spec.

But I think it was a really good idea for you to revive this thread so you could add your .02 cents.... Wait a minute, no I don't. Actually, I kind of hope that no one takes your invitation to re-explore this subject, but to each their own.
Remember, in a community like SB there are only thread starters and thread contributors, there is no such thing as a thread owner. :eyebrow:

Remember, in a community like SB there are only thread starters and thread contributors, there is no such thing as a thread owner. :eyebrow:

In that case, I offer the following diagram as a graphical aid to any one who may be confused about the complex subject of "How to Route Your Primary Hose."

Enjoy,

Boxcar :)

hose-routing.gif

Re: OP question

I have seen more people dive with a necklace on their reg. Personally, I like the idea and am planning on purchasing one.

I don't dive a long hose but I can see some good reasons for it.

Giving an "working" reg to an OOA diver should NEVER, EVER, be one of those reasons.

That's why we do proper maintenance and complete equipment checks before getting in the water. If I'm not 100% certain all gear is working proper I don't get in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom