Doc, Was This DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grushka

New
Reaction score
(I have reposted this from another forum because I wanted to get the doc's opinion. Thanks for understanding).

Anyway, I'm really interested in getting some opinions on what might have happened to me.

I went on a 10 day diving vacation in Central America. I got my Advanced Open Water certification on the trip, but consider myself a novice diver.

I dove 2x a day during the trip, taking a half day off here and there. I did a 5 hour surface interval between dives. The whole time, I did two 90 foot dives - first dive of the day and a SLOWWW ascent with safety stops. Most dives were 60 ft and above.

Only one minor incident the whole trip which involved getting short on air and missing the 15 foot safety stop. However, I had purposely been diving at 20-25 feet anyway for some time, so I'm not too concerned about that.

ANYWAY, I wait 36 hours after my last dive - yes, 36 hours - before getting on the 3,000 foot puddle jumper to the mainland. After that, it's another 5 hour wait til I get on the jet.

Which is where it starts. About an hour into the flight I feel extensive tingling up my right leg, with some on the left leg. Tingles were persistent and strong. No pain, no numbness, but an electric (almost bubbling tingling) the whole flight.

OK, please no judgements, but I get home late on Christmas (Dec 25) and go to sleep. I wake up, with intermittent but persistent tingling. I call around NYC for barometric chambers, but no one is answering. I don't get a call back until Dec 27, at which time most say I've missed my window of treatment.

As of now, I still feel some substantial tingling, and bone aches in both legs. The tingling gets very bad after drinking (so I have not had any more booze) and even after eating spicy food. The tingling and bone aches are definitely real (not in my head).

So, my question is: what the heck happened to me? I called Dan TWICE, and both guys were very unsure what had happened, given the extremely long interval before getting the symptoms (though one WAS concerned about the tingling). A dive doc told me the same thing - that it was not likely DCS, given the 40+ hour timeframe before symptoms appeared. My own dad, an internist with no dive medical experience, told me that whatever happened was likely mild and that no doc would be able to diagnose me any more finely than that (thanks, Dad!)

Your thoughts? Am I screwed? Doomed to osteo necrosis? Permanent nerve damage? Did I get hit?

Hello gushka:

DCS and the Dive

I too seriously doubt that you experienced a case of decompression sickness. This is based on the minimal dives [gas loadings], slow ascent rates, long surface intervals, and duration until you were on a plane and the symptoms appeared. Taken together, it simply does not add up to a DCS problem.

Other

It is always good to ask about unusual physiological events following diving. However, one must remember that many people have neurological problems and paresthesias (= funny sensations) and have never gone diving in their life. Many people will have these sensations when they cross their legs (e.g., “leg has fallen asleep”) or from , e.g., Carpel Tunnel problems. Some persist and some do not.

Because you symptoms appear to persist, I would definitely recommend that you arrange for an appointment to see a neurologist

I wish that I could be more definite.

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom