Doc's Proplugs do any of you divers use it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A buddy of mine dives with the ear cover mask. Its cool and works for him. Everytime I dive with him I help him plug in the little ear cover tubes into the mask as when he adjusts they always pull/pop off the mask when we hit the water.

He also says he can hear better underwater.. I've not tried the mask because the plugs work great for me.

Can you find out if equalization is required and whether there is a difference in pressure without water in the ear? After all I suppose pressure doesn't matter as long as there's no water?

I couldn't hear anyway (oh yeah I'd love to be ale to wear hearing aids, but I think those would block the ear covers from working properly and mind you I wouldn't want to get $1k hearing aids wet).

Possibly check into custom made Westone AquaNots. I have a set, but havent dove with them yet, just snorkeled.

One thing about he ear cover mask is that its fairly bulky to pack when I go backpacking so if I really want to be able to dive and if that's what I must have. As far as the westone earplugs, those won't work either they are designed for near surface and does not have membranes like Doc's Proplugs

I have worn Doc's for many years. They will not keep all the water out of your ears.
They will keep most water out but not all.

I am pretty sure you still have to equalize however I seem to remember reading something about the equalizing being easier because of the air volume and the little tubes are one way tubes from your nose/eye area to the ear area.

I have worn Doc's for many years. They will not keep all the water out of your ears.
They will keep most water out but not all.

I guess its time to call my ENT and find out exactly what the stipulations are, from my last visit he said that there would be too much pressure and it would cause water to leak past the eardrum so f Doc's Proplugs only lets SOME water then I would think the pressure would be greatly reduced.

At least I have the option of the earmask

I don't think the pressure with the pro plugs would be reduced at all, at the very least if it trapped air behind the plug, the air pressure would be equal to that of the outside water. I'd think it would be the same with the mask. Let's say if you went down to 2 ATM, you'd equalize your mask so it wouldn't be pressing on your eyes, and you'd also be equalizing your ear cups at the same time. I could be wrong but if you are equalizing so you don't get mask squeeze, the air pressure inside the mask is still 2 ATM as you'd be equalizing the pressure inside the mask to offset the outside pressure. The ear cups would just follow along, as they are made to equalize as you equalize the mask. I'm pretty sure no matter what depth you are at you will still be at pressure equal to that of the water if you are equalzing properly, it's just that with the mask it would be air pressure, with the pro plugs it'd be mostly water.

By the way, I've used both over the years when I've done a ton of diving, and for me they both make repetitive or rapid equalizing easier, but you still have to equalize.

I don't think the pressure with the pro plugs would be reduced at all, at the very least if it trapped air behind the plug, the air pressure would be equal to that of the outside water. I'd think it would be the same with the mask. Let's say if you went down to 2 ATM, you'd equalize your mask so it wouldn't be pressing on your eyes, and you'd also be equalizing your ear cups at the same time. I could be wrong but if you are equalizing so you don't get mask squeeze, the air pressure inside the mask is still 2 ATM as you'd be equalizing the pressure inside the mask to offset the outside pressure. The ear cups would just follow along, as they are made to equalize as you equalize the mask. I'm pretty sure no matter what depth you are at you will still be at pressure equal to that of the water if you are equalzing properly, it's just that with the mask it would be air pressure, with the pro plugs it'd be mostly water.

By the way, I've used both over the years when I've done a ton of diving, and for me they both make repetitive or rapid equalizing easier, but you still have to equalize.

Ok it looks clear that pro plugs are not an option, equalizing is just part of diving and I agree no matter how much water is behind the plug evenif there is a little bit there probably is air too, and that will eventually push the water (we can't have that happening).

So if I came to your dive shop with ear masks would you still require a medical release? Doctor said to me s long as water stays out of my ears, I don't need his permission unless I have other problems he is unaware of which there are none.

Ok it looks clear that pro plugs are not an option, equalizing is just part of diving and I agree no matter how much water is behind the plug evenif there is a little bit there probably is air too, and that will eventually push the water (we can't have that happening).

So if I came to your dive shop with ear masks would you still require a medical release? Doctor said to me s long as water stays out of my ears, I don't need his permission unless I have other problems he is unaware of which there are none.

A medical release from your physician would be required for training because of your history of hearing loss. I'd talk with your ENT and find out if it's a matter of water or pressure, to find out if increased air pressure is OK. If he felt it was only the water that was an issue, the pro-ear mask might be the solution. Keep in mind, there's no absolute guarantee there won't be any water getting into your ears with the pro-ear mask, it will likely be mostly eliminated if the fit is good though. Typically the medical history release forms have a spot for your physician to sign off on whether or not they find you have issues compatible or incompatible with diving, and then a spot for remarks by the physician. No dive shop should make the call on their own.

I don't really want to throw a wrench into the works here, but I'm going to. Your profile says you're not certified. Mask clearing and/or mask removal and replacement are required skills in (most, if not all) OW classes. Will you be able to do them while keeping water out of your ears? Even if you found an training agency that doesn't require this or some sort of work-around, what happens in open water? Will a flooded mask result in water getting into the ear covers and effectively into your ears? Just something to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom