Doc's Proplugs do any of you divers use it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mynetdude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I sent an email to the DAN website (via a form) to obtain the nearest facility that can custom fit me with earplugs that have membranes specifically for diving. My doctor won't clear me for diving unless I can show him a method that can safely keep water out of my ears as normal earplugs would not be a safe method but since I didn't get an answer and various websites say to get Doc's Prplugs but I need to be sure which one to get if it is even permitted to be used (and the consensus seems to be that it is widely acceptable).

So I'm hoping someone could shed more light on where I could get more information or know which type to obtain, the only way I can go underwater is inside something pressurized (such as a submersible or up to 10ft with regular earplugs)

I have friends who use it and they claim it gives them a little more time to equalize. If you're able to slow and control your descent however (something they're working on) then you already can solve that problem.

The vented Doc Pro plugs made for diving is only rated to keep water out of your ears for up to 20ft, from what I've heard and read. After 20ft, it is said that water will enter your ear to aid in further equalization. It is not meant to keep your ears completely dry. They're meant to prevent "large" debris (in relation to an ear canal; ie sand) and water from continually flushing in and out of the ear. But because they're vented, they will not prevent water from entering the ear entirely.
If you must keep water out of your ears entirely these will not be a guaranteed solution IMO.
All my friends who use the Doc Pro plugs also wear a hood, and they still get some water in their ears.

Additional Source:

Doc's Proplugs: The Doctor's Choice for Ear Protection

I have friends who use it and they claim it gives them a little more time to equalize. If you're able to slow and control your descent however (something they're working on) then you already can solve that problem.

The vented Doc Pro plugs made for diving is only rated to keep water out of your ears for up to 20ft, from what I've heard and read. After 20ft, it is said that water will enter your ear to aid in further equalization. It is not meant to keep your ears completely dry. They're meant to prevent "large" debris (in relation to an ear canal; ie sand) and water from continually flushing in and out of the ear. But because they're vented, they will not prevent water from entering the ear entirely.
If you must keep water out of your ears entirely these will not be a guaranteed solution IMO.
All my friends who use the Doc Pro plugs also wear a hood, and they still get some water in their ears.

Additional Source:

Doc's Proplugs: The Doctor's Choice for Ear Protection

Hmm I talked to a diving friend and I kind of find it hard to believe it would keep water out but he believes because it has a membrane that water can't get in and that makes no sense, earplugs that allow you to vent/equalize would mean that the membrane isn't sealed (and if it were, then you're back to the same problem that earplugs can't be used safely while diving unless you want the earplug to mash into your eardrum. And vented earplugs obviously must give way to water.

Well her's the problem, I have a history of hearing loss and ear problems since childbirth so yes I've read that doctors don't recommend that I dive because if there were to be damage to my ears I would be at significant risk to losing any residual hearing (of course any person who does not have a hearing loss is at risk of losing hearing but less so as they have far more residual hearing than I do) but this is not why the ENT does not want water in the ear after 10ft.

The ENT says that as I descend more water pressure builds against the tympanic membrane the more likely water will leak to the middle ear since I don't have a sealed membrane (there is a small tear/hole) that never healed from all the surgeries I've had to have putting tubes in and out. If I can reduce the water pressure but still allow water in the ear without risk of it getting into the middle ear and its proven effective then its a possibility.

if I'm not wearing a hood, I'm wearing proplugs.

Water gets in.. they have little holes in them, but it keeps the water, and the cold water from slamming up in your ear when you rotate your head underwater. I don't dive without them.. they work great for me.

If you dive in turbid water.. they also keep your ears cleaner.

will they reduce pressure of the water on the tympanic membrane? I think that's the key point, if the pressure on the tympanic membrane can be at an acceptable level then that would be the way to go; TBH I would be better off having a surgery to close the hole/gap but I need a minimum of $50k to do that.

I don't dive without Doc's proplugs. I don't think they would protect you against anything other than keeping most of the water our of your ears. The pressure is what keeps them secure in your ears, so I don't think pressure is diminished relative to diving without them.

according to the site, and only from what I read they say equalizing is not needed as there is no pressure change but then the air in the ear covers would decrease so you would in theory still need to equalize?

Let's say this hypothetically still works, would I still need a medical note from my Dr?

A buddy of mine dives with the ear cover mask. Its cool and works for him. Everytime I dive with him I help him plug in the little ear cover tubes into the mask as when he adjusts they always pull/pop off the mask when we hit the water.

He also says he can hear better underwater.. I've not tried the mask because the plugs work great for me.

Back
Top Bottom