Does a DM have responsibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottf24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am fairly new to diving....I have OW,AOW,and Nitrox training. I KNOW that I am responsible for my own safety and I take it very seriously! But as a new diver I look to the DM on the boat as the leader......I listen to him....and try to do as he says. He is the one with the experience and the training that helps keep him safe. I think that all new divers will look at the DM to help keep them safe as well. And I KNOWWWWW..I have the training so I should be perfect..... But the facts are that new divers make mistakes. From what I read on here....the DM is not responsible for anything...but maybe showing us some pretty fish! Do all of you DM's here TRY to keep the new divers from making mistakes??? And I know you are not babysitters but if you are the DM and you let it be known......then you should have SOME responsibility. 2 minutes of your time could keep a new diver from making a wrong decision. :popcorn:

Short answer is - it depends. As a Pro I am always aware of what is going on around me. If I see someone doing something or not doing something that could get them in trouble it is literally impossible for me to not take action of some kind. What form that takes is determined by the situation. I may say something to the operator or the DM on the boat. Or as I did in Puerto Rico just take action myself and put a tank back in.

But this statement

"I look to the DM on the boat as the leader......I listen to him....and try to do as he says. He is the one with the experience and the training that helps keep him safe. I think that all new divers will look at the DM to help keep them safe as well."

is the one that gets people in trouble. How do you know that this is the case? You don't. I've seen DM and instructors I wouldn't rely on in the pool let alone anywhere else. They are the exception but they are out there and you have no idea if this is the case. I plan my dives with the idea that no one -especially a DM or Guide that I don't know and doesn't know me - is going to keep me safe. To do otherwise is foolish. Even the good ones don't have 10 arms and 5 sets of eyes to keep track of everyone in the group if diving in a herd. Another sign to be especially wary of are the ones that say something like "this is an easy site" and "you'll be fine we dive it this way all the time." Those are ones that should make you sit up and take notice of everything around you. Because they do dive it all the time. For them it is easy. But you don't. So why would you trust them?

"Does a DM have responsibility?"

When acting under contract in a professional capacity, yes.
The DM on the boat or charter is an agent of the contracting party and, as such, assumes the responsibility and commensurate liability of executing his duties in a reasonable and safe manner that would prevent any reasonable, forseeable harm or injury that might occur to anyone under his charge.

To what degree that liability extends, I don't know, but the liability does exist.

the K

Anyone ever got on a dive boat without signing a waiver of liability? Ever read that waiver? You think that waiver is increasing your rights or decreasing your rights? What do you think the purpose of that waiver is for that the Dive Op is making you sign?

For a multitude of reasons, I take diver safety very seriously when guiding customers. Not least, because if they have an accident, then it'll be me who has to put myself at risk to rescue them.

As far as the DM training course goes, trainee DMs are told that they do not have responsibility for the planning and conduct of trained divers. It is a supervisory role only, but does include rescue provision and assistance with planning dives (based on local knowledge etc).

Legally, it would depend on the specific laws in the country/region, as there may be some expectation of duty-of-care or, at least, it would be covered under health & safety/workplace regulations.

Anyone ever got on a dive boat without signing a waiver of liability? Ever read that waiver? You think that waiver is increasing your rights or decreasing your rights? What do you think the purpose of that waiver is for that the Dive Op is making you sign?

After you are DEAD.....you have no rights. New divers look at the DM for guidance.
BY THE BOOK.....BY THE BOOK... That is all I see on here. Where does common sense come into play? New divers need someone to look up to and get advice when needed. And if they have no one else with them that they know.....it should be the DM.

A DM can't teach you common sense. That's the problem. Yes, sure, look up to them and learn from them, but you really going to trust your life to a complete stranger? Everyone wants someone to be accountable for their mistakes. Guess what that "someone" is you and only you.

I personally feel that I am the one responsible for my own safety. If there is something that I am not qualified for or I don't feel comfortable with, I WILL NOT do it. Yes the DM is there but I will not put myself or him at risk just because he's the DM. As far as an emergency situation arising I feel that is is all of our responsibility to respond in kind wether a DM or OW diver. Being a human being in a foreign world we all need to look out for each other. Another angle to this is that a DM has no idea how well you keep up with maintaining your gear and health. Again being responsible for your own well being.

A DM can't teach you common sense. That's the problem. Yes, sure, look up to them and learn from them, but you really going to trust your life to a complete stranger? Everyone wants someone to be accountable for their mistakes. Guess what that "someone" is you and only you.

Good answer.I could not agree more! I just see to many DM's that do not pay attention to the NEW divers..even when asked. And I have never seen anything go wrong.....but if it did...the DM would just say "He is not my responsibility".
And let me say, in my limited diving experiences.....I have met a few that were very good and did pay close attention to the people that let it be known "I am new at this".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom