Does a new tank need a physically VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

once again. disregard common sense for a minute. does the hydro date serve as the vis date on tanks for other than the original hydro. this is not a money issue. it is a regulation issue.

can a shop legitimately fill a tank with out a vis sticker when the latest hydro date is <12 months old and not the factory hydro date. disregard insurance requirements where does dot, cga ect stand on this.

the hydro shop does not typically put viz stickers on the tanks; they punch em on the neck. If you do not want to pay for the viz at the shop, I am sure they would be willing to provide your cylinder back to you with the old O-ring (cut upon removal to prevent accidental re-use) valve un installed and in a ziplock bag, and the thread guard plug still in the threads of the tank.

You want the sticker??
You want the tank assembled??
you want a new o-ring??

PAY for the VIP!!

this is not a pay for the vip question.

hydro shops do not put vis stickers on tanks to my understanding, the hydro date is the vis date. is my understanding incorrect. or is it correct only for new tanks and not periodic hydro's.

the viz date on anything other than the initial birthdate is 100% indicated by the evidence of inspection sticker.

Consider this: If the shop has a backlog of hydro/viz and wind up getting the two separated by a week or two, it is not unknown to see different months indicated on the sticker vs. hydro stamp. One shop I dove with had to take their tanks across a ferry to get hydro tests. They would consolidate at least 5 tanks for hydro before considering taking them in. (rush orders always had the option of greyhound bus service...)

But no, EOI (viz) stickers have NO correlation with Hydro other than the initial manufacturing hydro.

here is a link to somewhere describing ther hydro process

Hydrostatic Cylinder Testing 101 | Florida Scuba News | Your Source for Diving News and Information on the World's Number One Dive Destination

notice the part below

An overview of hydrostatic testing:

Document the cylinder.
Calibrate the hydro testing machine.
A visual inspection and/or Eddy Current neck thread test.
Fill the cylinder with water.
Install a spud connection in the cylinder and then attach it to the test tank lid.

based on this and assuming that this info is correct. does or does not the hydro satisfy the vis requirements and negate the need for a vis sticker for the first 12 months of the hydro period?

EOI's are diving industry requirement. Hydro testing is mandated by law.

Just be thankful we aren't in australia... they have to HYDRO annually

A tank should come to you with the valve out and a plug in. It is a good idea to take a glance inside just to be sure that there are no dead rodents in the tank (yes, I have seen that happen). But a tank with a hydro that is within one year should not HAVE to have a sticker on it, unless the shop is unreasonably greedy and your money is burning a hole in your pocket.

A tank should come to you with the valve out and a plug in. It is a good idea to take a glance inside just to be sure that there are no dead rodents in the tank (yes, I have seen that happen). But a tank with a hydro that is within one year should not HAVE to have a sticker on it, unless the shop is unreasonably greedy and your money is burning a hole in your pocket.

that being said, most shops I have dealt with (outside of tropical resorts) have included a VIP sticker in the Hydro price / procedure. Basically once it is confirmed clean inside and the valve re-installed, it gets a fast 1500 psi to warm up the wall of the tank and better adhere the VIP sticker, and a slow finish fill and finally a water bath to final check for any slow leaks.

Nobody I have dealt with actually charges for the VIP separate when done in conjunction with a hydro if that's what KWS is getting at.

that is how i read the cga proceedure when i saw it, If it was the cga proceedure i saw, My lds does has done the visual because the hydro shop can not do a complete visual because the lds has the valves. because of that they complete the vis and put the eoi sticker on the tank. I think that the last hydro cost me 25.00 and the lds did the vis for 15. the combined price is fair. also when notrox vis comes into play the hydro does not get involved, they leave the notrox issues to the lds. the lds does the cleaning valve rebulild and hydrocarbon inspections. all that for 15 plus parts and tumbling if needed.

I know when my tank comes back the lds sticks a uv light in the tank looks at the threads for hydro damage.... puts the valve in and fills. they let me look at the inside of the tank for my satisfaction and sticker it. i partially fill and vent the tank 3 times with 500 psi to purge the humidity from the un valved tank exposure and then fill to working presure. some may think that a little extreem but near the gulf the humidity is pretty high all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom