Does a new tank need a physically VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

forgetg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have purchased two new 100 Steel Hp tanks from a Dive Center on line, the tanks were drop shipped from XS Scuba with a new valve in the box..not installed..I received the tanks and on the same day i received a letter in the mail from the DC with two VIP stickers, i called the DC and asked what to do with the stickers....they said quote...Have the valves installed and place the sticker on the side and get the tanks filled....I was very surprised at the response......My question here is: Does a new tank from the factory need to be physically VIP in order to have a vip sticker on it, I have been told that dive centers do not visual inspect new tanks, they just place a sticker on them.........

FYI....I did have my LDC VIP the tanks I am just curious for the answer

I don't know about 'normally', but a friend recommended it to me because he got his new tanks and they were filthy inside. I had vis done on mine for peace of mind.

You'd be surprised what you sometimes see inside a new tank. A good dive shop will inspect a new tank before valving it and filling it. A good shop will also not fill an empty tank, without at least pulling the valve and looking inside.

So you could put the vip stickers on, but it probably won't do a lot of good. The issue would be whether the shop filling the tank charges you for a VIP or not. Given that you did not buy it from them, but are expecting them to accept the risk of filling it, don't get upset it if they do a VIP and cahrge you for it.

I purchased two new steel tanks from a dive shop a long while ago. they had the valves installed and the guy was going to put the stickers on the tanks. I asked that we look inside first. the guy laughed at me and pretty much refused because they were brand new tanks ad were never filled before.

I eventually had to get a little nasty and told the guy flat out, that I would NOT buy the tanks until I personally looked at the interior. The guy finally relented and when we looked inside we found that the tank had a bunch of beads in the bottom. aparently they were dessicant beads from the factory or something. The guy was a little emabarassed. You would be silly not to look in the tanks EVERY time the valve comes off.

I purchased a brand new AL40 a while ago, albeit from a local shop, and they VIPd it on the spot. Luckily my tank was clean on the inside, nothing got dumped out.

Peace,
Greg

In your case I would put the decals on, have a look inside for anything extremely nasty or obviously out of joint, lube the orings, and crank on the valves to the proper torque, and bring them in for a fill. I would do this only if I was comfortable with all of that.

I would mention to the shop that these are brand new tanks, and are empty. I would not be upset by them asking me to pay for a VIP.

Who knows? Maybe the shop will find that these online tanks are out of hydro.

I get a free VIP and fill when I buy tanks at my LDS.

VI

In your case I would put the decals on, have a look inside for anything extremely nasty or obviously out of joint, lube the orings, and crank on the valves to the proper torque, and bring them in for a fill. I would do this only if I was comfortable with all of that.

I would mention to the shop that these are brand new tanks, and are empty. I would not be upset by them asking me to pay for a VIP.

Who knows? Maybe the shop will find that these online tanks are out of hydro.

I get a free VIP and fill when I buy tanks at my LDS.

VI

What?!?!?! The OP could read that for himself . . . :shakehead:

New tanks get to where they are going in a cardboard box with a plug in the neck and hopefully also a valve in the box with a dip tube taped to the side of it?

If the LDS will only fill a tank(s) with a vip sticker on it then it needs it. The LDS are the ones filling the tanks with equipment they paid for in a building they own/rent. If you want your tanks filled and they want you to hop on one leg then what do you do?

The owner of a LSD where I brought my new 19cf pony minus a vip sticker to be filled he vip'd it and put a sticker on it for free. He told me he has found paper work and such in some new tanks. Safe or sorry?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom