Does anybody have directions to Okinawa dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave1234

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been living on Okinawa for 6 years and I have maps that show dive spots, but no directions on how to get to them, even on this board there is a list of divesites but no directions.
I've dove several locations on the main Island of Okinawa and except for the sites at Manzo Mo, Chatan, Mizugama, and Meada. No one uses the same names.

A great book with directions is Okinawa dive point 1, problem is it was put together in 1996 and its in Japanese, most of the directions can no longe be used due to the roads and landmarks moving or being built over.

So to get back to the question, Does anyone have directions or even a screen shot of google earth showing how to get to dive sites on Okinawa?

I havent seen any written form or directions. For the past several years I have been taking my GPS with map and marking spots as I have dove (sp?) them but have never printed out the maps with locators for anyone.

I have been on Okinawa since 1997. Although there is no comprehensive diving directions/maps, you can purchase John Chanlers Dive Site maps at Camp Foster mini PX. Go to the graphics design shop in the mini mall at Camp Foster. This dive map was made with the help of MCCS, and Okinawa Living. The other source that I have used is Dive Point Map #1 but it is out of print in English and it is about 10 years old. You can pick up the Japanese version at Naval Kadena book shop on the first floor. You can go to www.PADI.jp.com and they have many of the dive sites. I used google translater to translate from Japanese to English. I have used this in conjunction with google maps to look for new dive sites. You can use a combination of google earth and google maps. I use google earth to look for where the reef is close to the shore and I can see dark blue (indicating deep water) close to shore. Then use google maps to get driving directions. Using this technique I have found 9 dive sites in Onna alone that are awsome. I have a list posted on Zen Divers that lists some of the sites that I have dove. If there is some particular directions to a dive site I can write it up for you, but I don't have time write up all 150 dive sites with maps as I work full time.

I've been living on Okinawa for 6 years and I have maps that show dive spots, but no directions on how to get to them, even on this board there is a list of divesites but no directions.
I've dove several locations on the main Island of Okinawa and except for the sites at Manzo Mo, Chatan, Mizugama, and Meada. No one uses the same names.

A great book with directions is Okinawa dive point 1, problem is it was put together in 1996 and its in Japanese, most of the directions can no longe be used due to the roads and landmarks moving or being built over.

So to get back to the question, Does anyone have directions or even a screen shot of google earth showing how to get to dive sites on Okinawa?

Here you go.

MCCS Okinawa Japan - Top Dive Sites

I am searching for the Okinawan Dugoon/Manatee...possibly extinct...does any one have any information on this creature?

:) - good luck with that! I thought the same thing, but after some research discovered that the last LIVE Dugong was found in Okinawa around 1972, and sometime early 90s a study was done and only found one dead caught in a net...I've been diving all over that island and those around it (including extensively in the northern areas where they're supposed to live), and have never seen one.

I've heard they used to live off Futenma (in that grassy shallow area), and around Hansen and Schwab (again, shallow grass).

I have talked to at least four different eye witnesses that have spotted the Dugoon some them this year, but I have seen no photos. However one was a former Marine on Camp Schawb on manuvers spotted one from a boat past the islands, but in 1992 (his account seemed credible). I am supprised that if they are this endangered that there is not a better conservation effort. e.g. shutting down boat traffic in key areas like they do in Crystal River Florida. I have noticed numberous man made harbors in this area with 50 some fishing boats per harbor.

I dove the area where the dugong are supposed to live for years and never saw one or any evidence of one. The lastest search to produce a new picture of one supported by helos and numerous boats, divers and snorkelers was unable to spot one. Although it would be awesome if we had this critters here on Okinawa I am afraid they have been gone from the area for quite some time.

I dove the area where the dugong are supposed to live for years and never saw one or any evidence of one. The lastest search to produce a new picture of one supported by helos and numerous boats, divers and snorkelers was unable to spot one. Although it would be awesome if we had this critters here on Okinawa I am afraid they have been gone from the area for quite some time.

Japan-Diver when was this search conducted? Has anyone from the scientific community declared them extinct on Okinawa, Japan? Has a date been reached when the last Dugon been found? I have an eye witness report as of 1992 that they saw them in Orwan Bay.

I have contacted the Aquarium and they stated all the animals that they have in captivity were Manatee's donated by Mexico. Are the Okinawan's doing anything to preserve the Dugoon's habat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom