does anyone check log books ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been diving over 30 years and have filled up 5 log books with diving notes. I have yet to be ask by anyone to see them ..... not in Cozumel, Jamaica, Bahamas, Barbados, Bonaire or Cayman islands have I ever been ask by a dive operator or dive master to show a log book. They always want to see my C card ..... sometimes they ask if I have one and then don't even look to see if I do. I was diving in Florida last year and 3 out of 4 shops didn't even ask to see my C card for air fills ..... they were more worried that I had 20 year old aluminum tanks (the tanks had been hydro and vip within the last 6 months) that need filling.

I haven't run into anybody yet who checks log books.

AL

One time, about two years ago I checked in with Aqua World in Cancun, and the really good lookin' young female divemaster checking me in wanted to see both my C-card and my log book. Never before, and never since. Maybe it was my smile. :D

Logbook not required, but as alternative to AOW cert ........

I've used a couple of operators in the Keys that wanted to seen AOW card before they'd take you to some of the wrecks. As an alternative, they said they'd also be happy with an OW cert card and a logbook that showed some recent dives deeper than 100'.

They wanted to see AOW and logbook in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.

Just in case your interested their was an interesting discussion going on in another thread recently about log book checks. I myself have never had my logbook checked but have been asked to bring it along anyway. Although I have a tendancy to lose it, so I just leave it at home now.

I have only had mine checked twice. Once to take a more advanced course, & the other time when I was going on a live aboard to ensure that I had been diving within 6mos of the trip. Other than that, I keep it up to date for my own reference.

In order to set this thread on fire, tell me, what purpose does a log book serve? What does it prove? Why does it matter that I check "farmer john wetsuit" instead of anything else? I really don't it get it, so I don't fill one out.

SkullDeformity:
In order to set this thread on fire, tell me, what purpose does a log book serve? What does it prove? Why does it matter that I check "farmer john wetsuit" instead of anything else? I really don't it get it, so I don't fill one out.

Well there really is no reason to fill one out with except for your own personal interest. I like to keep track of how many dives i've done, how deep I went, water temps, and what I saw. As for dive ops checking it, its kind of pointless since it takes 5 mins to doctor a logbook for yourself.

For my Adv. Nitrox course, I had to show that I had at least 10 logged dives at more than 80'. The live aboard wanted to ensure that I have dove within the last 6 mos. Sure, it can be fudged, it is based on the honor system. If it is fudged, most likely, it will show.

Back
Top Bottom