Does anyone dive with tables anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1barzx3

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm realtively new to diving, especially in open water situations. I am a dive mechanic at a theme park and most of my diving is in the 15-20 foot range. I am really wanting to start diving outside of work and multiple people are telling me I will "need" a computer to even get started. I know they are nice and very helpful tools, but are they a "need" for someone who is doing the ocassional rec dive, not exceeding 80 feet? Does anyone still dive off of charts or has everyone pretty much gone to computers? Thanks for any input and sorry if it is a stupid question.

You can certainly dive with tables, for sure, but they are much more conservative than computers, as they are based on a square profile (deepest depth is the only depth) & as most recreational dives are multi- level. A computer is constantly recalcualting your bottom time based on your current depth & dive time. Yes, this can also be calculated on the wheel,... but do you really want to keep interrupting your dive to recalculate your nitrogen loading? My favorite personal example of the value of a dive computer, is a dive I did in a blue hole. I went to 130 ft, which by tables, has a maximum bottom time of 5 min. (not even considering the residule Nitrogen form previous dives). By going to depth for just a few minutes, then working my way up the wall of the blue hole to a reef on the edge at 40 ft, I was able to stretch that dive into a 45 min dive & was no where near NDL's when I surfaced. If I had used regular tables, I would have only had a 5 min. dive plus ascent. I like to do longer dives. That said, I do persoanlly teach my students both tables & computer diving, so that they understand each.

When all is said & done, basic dive computers aren't all that expensive ($200 or so) or hard to use & they give you much more bottom time.

As for your last question, yes, computers are slowly becoming the mainstay of diving, but there will always be those who will use tables, no matter what....

my wife and I use tables we did recently get a inexspensive simple computer but still plan on diving tables locally at times just to keep up knowing how to use them properly..

Sure, I dive with tables. Hell, there's one built right into the bezel of my dive watch. If I were to do ONE dive, there's no need to have a dive computer.

I'm just starting out and I used tables. I haven't looked to much into computers yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a while till I can pick one up. I'm not to worried about it though, I might have to dive a little shorter, but I'm still in the water every weekend.

Tables are worth learning just to make sure your computer isn’t off in the weeds. From a cost standpoint, you can get a new air-only wrist computer for $150… not all that much more than depth gauge and a timing piece. You can do even better on the used market where a lot of people want to upgrade to a Nitrox computer.

I dive using tables exclusively. I am very comfortable with the "conservatism" built into the tables and don't find the square profile of the table at all limiting. Most of my diving has been in quarries, inland lakes or some what low profile wrecks in the Great Lakes so my dives are essentially square profiles. You do not need a computer to dive. It may be something you decide you want later but it is not essential.

yes, still use them before the dive to plan, and after the dive to keep a log so when "mr electronic gizmo" poops on me, I'm still diving. Also, 90% of my diving is square profiled or predictable enough that something like the wheel is more than enough for some multi-level calculations.

Yes, prices have come down to what is almost disgusting when you consider what they used to cost, but it still is NOT an essential piece of gear. Your choice......

Tables: Square profiles. If you're at one depth they're ideal. If you are off the bottom here and there a few feet, then you aren't at max depth the exact whole time, thus the conservatism.
Computers: Tell you your actual bottom time left regardless of depth, based on the same model as the tables. They are excellent if you spend 7 minutes at 100' and the rest at 60 or 50', etc. But when it says 34 mins. bottom time left it means that--no margin for error (according to the model of course, not according to exactly what N is in your body).

I use computer for deep dives, say below 40-50' to the 130' limit. With watch/tables backup.
for dives shallower than that I just use watch and tables--usually ready to exit long before any limit is reached.
You can dive to 80 feet without a computer. Just watch your analog stuff.
I made a number of dives to 70-80' before taking Deep course. The Instructor said it's a good idea to get a computer if you do a lot of deep dives. If you can afford one, it makes sense to avail yourself of another tool when going deep.

don't forget lots of features to a basic computer, not just multi level NDLs (e.g. ascent rate monitor, depth, timer, temp guage, dive log etc)

can dive without one but given relative cost v benefit, I don't see why you would

Back
Top Bottom