Does anyone else give the okay sign?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do it all the time, wether on the boat or if im the one jumping in. I do it during the dive to if im the one leading.

Absolutely. Every time. And I make sure that if I am in the water the boat gives me one back and if I am on the boat that the diver does - does no good if no one sees it :wink:

Funny discussion ! So... NO... I/we don't do this, unless the crew of the boat or the dive leader explicitly asked for it during the briefing...
In general we do assume we're diving with people who know how to dive... and also underwater you're not just telling all the time you're OK just like that... you only answer OK if someone asks you if you're OK... and the only thing you 'tell' without someone asking you is if you're not OK.
So that's also what we do when we get in the water, or when we surface after a dive... we're only giving signals either if something is not going well, or if someone at the shore/boat explicitly asks us if everything is OK and we answer them.

Al Mialkovsky:
What I usually do is wave hi or throw a shaka every so often which makes it fun, not a military dive.

I think the shaka is the single most useful sign there is for diving, and should part of the sign language taught. There just isn't a better sign for saying "Is this f'ing cool or what?" to your buddy.

Oh, and yes, I give the OK sign. And even if it doesn't seem like the boat crew is paying attention, I think you'll find they're more aware of your signal than you think and appreciate it.

I always do the OK. We just did a dive this past weekend in Monterey and the boat captain told everyone to give the ok when you jump in. One he saw ok he would have the next diver step up to get ready to jump in. Its good safety to let them know you are ok. I also do it under water. Once my buddy and I get to the bottom we will signal we are ok then start our dive. Usually that's the only time unless something doesn’t look right or my buddy is acting odd then I will ask Ok. I see people doing the ok sign all the time. I got a buddy that isn’t my usual buddy this past Sunday and he did the are you ok once we got to the bottom also. I don’t think I would want to dive with someone that just jumped in, descended and took off with out making sure the buddy was ok and both where ready.
My 2c
Stacy

olmic:
what is a shaka?
shakin%20shaka%20200.gif

If I dive from shore, just me and my buddy, we usually talk rather than use signs. When I jump from a pier, boat or whatever, I give the ok once im in the water, as I have the regulator in my mouth when I jump in, and usually after I jump from something, Im a few meters away from land and ambient noice can make talking a bit more complicated. If diving with more divers than only me and my buddy, I give the ok and make sure the DM get it and respond to it.

If I’m on a commercial dive boat I always give the okay on entry and ascent and kind of believe that someone should be watching. Only exceptions are negative entries and that’s usually discussed pre-dive.

Back
Top Bottom