Does anyone know what this is ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_star

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IMG_2718.jpg

Not sure what this is. We found it of Isthmas Reef on Catalina in about 60 - 70 feet.

uh, really thrashed ctenophore maybe. Those little white lines look like the comb rows distinctive for them. Could also be (off the top of my head) parts of hydrozoan or scyphozoan jelly, salp, or there's a remote chance for an appendicularian "house." Yippee.

Not a pyrosome. I've got those things down cold.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest a completely thrashed Leucothea pulchra... because it looks like it had brown spots and there appear to be two little "feet" (not really).

http://divebums.com/FishID/Pages/leucothea_pulchra.html

All I'd add to what archman said is: definitely not a larvacean house (appendicularian... but larvacean is fewer letters!)

I would concur with John's ID... it does looked like a thrashed Leucothea pulchra (ctenophore). Of course that's usually the condition I see them in off Catalina anyway!

Dr. Bill

John H. Moore:
I'll go out on a limb and suggest a completely thrashed Leucothea pulchra... because it looks like it had brown spots and there appear to be two little "feet" (not really).

That's a great shot! Not being acquainted with that genus or species, could you elaborate anything about its size? It's looks fairly hefty.

Bill, can you answer published size range? My books are all packed up...

I think it's large for a ctenophore, but not any bigger than your average individual salp, for example.

Just getting packed for Belize, but I had my Wrobel and Mills handy. They say to 25 cm (~10").

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom