Does anyone still believe in "Support Your LDS"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious if that age old saying has any traction in the online world. I know some of the old brick and mortors still around dabble in both or offer other services that don't leave them obsolete.

I want to, I try to.... but what they offer (other then air) and what I want are not very well aligned.

One of the local contract instructors aligned with the LDS owns a dive boat and I support him nearly weekly. Took a class with him also. But otherwise, most things offered by my LDS just aren't very compelling.

I just bought a custom fit DUI drysuit from my LDS. I go to them for things that make sense for me to get from them. Other times I buy used or online. My LDS still probably gets the bulk of my scuba purchases, not purely out of loyalty but because it makes sense for me. They are nice guys and I hope they continue to do well, but I won't "support" them out of some kind of charity. They are a business, it's their obligation to make it make sense for me to buy from them.

Just curious if that age old saying has any traction in the online world. I know some of the old brick and mortors still around dabble in both or offer other services that don't leave them obsolete.
I think it still has quite a bit of traction. But, the answer also depends on where you are, what is available locally, and what you want. It has worked for me over the years. But, I also happen to have access to a particularly good LDS that offers everything I want - training, travel, equipment (with some exceptions), gas, and camaraderie (very active, long-standing scuba club; plus great staff colleagues and dive buddies). As a teaching staff member, my (discounted) 'new' gear prices are lower than any online operation so there is no particular cost advantage to online, except for some hardware items - double-enders, bolt snaps, etc. - which my LDS owner even encourages me to order online, anyway, and some brands / items we don't carry, which I usually order from Northeast Scuba Supply or Deep Sea Supply. I live in an area with 4 available LDS operations within a reasonable proximity. Frankly, if the one I use didn't exist, I am not sure what I would do - use local services or online. I can't buy gas fills online, and don't have any interest in setting up my own compressor and gas banks, so supporting the LDS is a practical matter for me as well. I buy quite a bit of used gear, and the owner doesn't have a problem with that, so it works out well.

Have you tried telling them that?

Yes, we've had that conversation.

Let's talk hypothetical. Why would they change anything to suit me? I already have all my training and gear and I don't get to take many trips. There's no money in servicing me.

An LDS is looking for the new recruits. The ones that they can sell a full set of top of the line $$$ ScubaPro gear. Get them trained O/W through Master Diver and book a bunch of trips. Then that diver retires after 2.5 years and they are looking for a replacement. Meanwhile I'm looking on Craigslist for their hand me downs.

until they just gouged a friend of my family on $500 for gear (fins, mask, snorkel, weight belt & booties) for stuff that is on closeout on LP.....

When I showed it to her, she went balistic..... (and confronted them)

On this well discussed topic I have suported my shop quite a bit. I don't buy a lot of stuff as a habit anyway, but if the shop has what I want or can order it I'll buy it. I have bought a couple of things online and some stuff from other shops while travelling if my shop didn't carry it and also for convenience when I was in said shop while away from home.

I support two LDS and an independant with my money - I like the staff at both LDSs - one got all my equipment money, the other a bunch of my in-class certs. I'll probably DMC with one of them. My independent has a lock on my water skills because he's good and we have a lot in common; my wife likes him and he's trust worthy. He's not ready to DMC me, but I'll likely offer my services to him when I'm done as I just like his way of doing things. That's not to say that the onliners don't have a chunk of my money, because they do too - on stuff that makes sense or the cost is so low that you can't ignore it. So I say, if it makes sense, spread the wealth.

Our LDS has, in my opinion, the best setup for open water classes of any shop in the area -- so I try to support them. We did talk them into carrying DSS backplates and wings, which helped, because we can now send students there with a clear conscience.

I buy very little there, but then, I don't buy much in the way of gear these days, since I have a basement full of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom