Does anyone still believe in "Support Your LDS"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't "support" my LDS, or subscribe to any of the propaganda he tries to feed me. However, he has really good prices (usually as good as or better than leisure pro) on big ticket items, so I buy from him often.

INfact I just got back from the LDS in Colorado Springs (Theunderwaterconnection). I looked on the web (amazon, DRIS, Craigslist, etc... for some guages and a retractable compass. Some really good deals. However, I went up to the local shop just to shoot the bull with them since I hadnt been there in a couple months. I ended up buying the gear there as well as a dive bag. Total Bill was $415 and probably could have gotten everything on the web for $330. However, when money is real tight they understand that I'll buy from the web. I just like giving local businesses my money because I"d hate to think about them closing down someday and having to drive all the way up to Denver.

Easy, get an Etherfill from Dive Gear Express

EtherFill 5000™ Cylinder Fill System - Dive Gear Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh well F the LDS! :) I like that! LMAF

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2013 at 01:49 AM ----------

With the internet today we no longer NEED an LDS. Comcast just doubled my internet speed today, so I am set! After all just click HERE and get your tanks filled (Recommend high speed internet for HP fills). Every year they will require a vis so click HERE to get that done.

I know it is the age old rant of dive shops "Where are you going to get your air fills", but it does have some validity to it.

Since I wanted Nitrox and non of my LDS's provide it I wound up just getting my own compressor, that has more than paid for itself. I truly have no need for an LDS other than the convenience of picking up d-rings and tri-glides, of which can be ordered off the internet too.

Well that's great if one can afford to lay out that kind of money to get started but, not everyone can do that. I guess if I had started saving for it when I started diving I'd have one by now.
When I started diving a fill was only 0.25 cents, 2 years later it doubled to 0.50 cents! Not much incentive back then to even think about a compressor.

Besides I just love the smell of neoprene when I'm in the store! Reminds me of my cellar. :)

I’d like to support the closest LDS to my house, but as someone here had so eloquently categorized a person they were dealing with, the owner is a douche waffle. The actual closest “scuba” shop to my home is a Sport Chalet, I do not consider them a LDS. I get fills there and an odd or end, if they have it in their very limited inventory. The closest LDS to my work, I’d like to support them too, seem like nice people who really mean well, there just seems to be an issue with delivering and follow through. I bought a very nice used BC from them, masks and snorkel, and some other smaller items that they happen to have in stock. I went there for a 150’ finger reel and a bottle of gear marking paint. It took over two months to get it. Every time I called they tried to talk me into taking a 100’ reel. No, I want a 150, if I wanted a 100 I would have taken it off the shelf. I ordered a hose adapter from them. A month and a half later, some guy ended up walking through the door selling some old gear, it had the adapter I wanted on it so they bought the whole set so that I could have the adapter. Big plus for that!!! Then they tried to sell me the whole reg set they bought. Nope, I just want the adapter. I brought my reg set in for servicing, it got lost, took and extra couple weeks to get it. They did offer me a loaner to use if I was diving before they got my stuff back. I went to talk to him about a reg set that is very well talked about here, they happen to be an authorized dealer for that manufacturer. They tried to talk me out of it and steer me towards something that cost a bit more, said he had seen issues with a few new units, but never with the “major” manufactures products.

So, I’ll for the most part give the near work LDS the first crack at some stuff that I have the time to wait for, for other things, I’m going to the Internet. My buddies also think the Home LDS guy is a douche waffle, or it’s carrier, so for now they have been written off. I have enough issues with opinionated small shop owners for the motorcycles I have, I don’t need more of those headaches.

Hell Yea! LDS patronage is key to many activities besides equipment sales for most divers: Introductory and Con Ed; equipment maintenance, cylinder fills, VIPs and hydros, dive trips, social clubs (most dive trips are made up from "regulars" of the LDS's "diving society"). I agree that there are occasional personality clashes that make it uncomfortable to impossible for a LDS to be all things to all people, but usually there are other shops in the area so most of us can choose to patronize the LDS that fits our style best.

I think some of the question of LDS loyalty is regional and depends on the area and how diving is done around there. For instance my LDS (one of the more successfully ones in Los Angeles) doesn't even organize local charters anymore. And I don't need them to as I am more than happy to arrange my own local boat diving. They do one or two foreign trips a year but I'd rather arrange my own and go where and when I want to. So I use them to get gear but not at all to go diving. I do use them to get fills but if they went away (they won't) I'm sure fills would sort out some other way like simply get them on the boat since our boats fill tanks.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom