Does anyone still believe in "Support Your LDS"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My former LDS sold me an air card then went out of business the next day. My next LDS hydroe'd my tank (sent it out) then charged me 15$ for a visual inspection on the newly hydro'ed (Passed with flying colors) tank. They could not really explain why my freshly hydroed tank needed their visual inspection too or what value I got for the 15$ annual VIP immediately after passing hydro ? Just one of them things LDSs now do to their customers apparently. I called the actual testing outfit that did the hydro and they told me they always visual it first and last (for obvious reasons) as part of the hydro protocol. So what did I get for my 15$ quick peak VIP, immediately after a passed hydro, by a teenager with a light ? ????????? Enough to make you shop around for best deal on the internet for equipment and most all else. Just one of them things. I have found the internet vendors as ethical or better than LDS.
It may seem that there is no reasonable explanation for a vip after the tank gets hydro tested.But, there is ..Hydro facilities do not always get all the water out of a tank after testing, and use reuse water very often that has all kinds of dirt in it. The hydro facility we use does not recycle its water and their water bill is high at their location and are now starting to reuse the water..Steel tanks very often develop a bit of rust that can be easily removed but a short period of time an the tumbler machine or a quick brushing. For the $15. the vip is performed, o rings replaced,a bit of cristolube on threads to prevent binding and if the exterior of valve is cleaned up, new sticker placed on it and the tank is now filled. So if the fill normally costs $7. the vip and eddy testing on a $1,000. machine that is used on AL tanks actually now only cost $8. not the $15. stated here. If it is a tank for nitrox use that does not require a hydro and just a vip then in addition to all the steps already listed an inspection with a uv light on the interior to check for any contamination that could be an issue for partial pressure fills.

It may seem that there is no reasonable explanation for a vip after the tank gets hydro tested.But, there is ..Hydro facilities do not always get all the water out of a tank after testing, and use reuse water very often that has all kinds of dirt in it. The hydro facility we use does not recycle its water and their water bill is high at their location and are now starting to reuse the water..Steel tanks very often develop a bit of rust that can be easily removed but a short period of time an the tumbler machine or a quick brushing. For the $15. the vip is performed, o rings replaced,a bit of cristolube on threads to prevent binding and if the exterior of valve is cleaned up, new sticker placed on it and the tank is now filled. So if the fill normally costs $7. the vip and eddy testing on a $1,000. machine that is used on AL tanks actually now only cost $8. not the $15. stated here. If it is a tank for nitrox use that does not require a hydro and just a vip then in addition to all the steps already listed an inspection with a uv light on the interior to check for any contamination that could be an issue for partial pressure fills.

Why are you performing an eddy test on any tank just back from re-qualification?

Why are you performing an eddy test on any tank just back from re-qualification?
why not?? its all part of a routine. It does not cost the consumer 1 penny more to have this done. A visual for a alum tank is the same cost as a steel here. A tank just back from hydro can have a crack in the threads and still pass the hydro test.

I support all 3 of my LDS (ones in fl though)

why not?? its all part of a routine. It does not cost the consumer 1 penny more to have this done. A visual for a alum tank is the same cost as a steel here. A tank just back from hydro can have a crack in the threads and still pass the hydro test.

Because it was already done if needed, as required by federal regulations, as part of the re-qualification. A tank with a thread defect would be detected and condemned, as appropriate, by the hydro facility. Why would a shop waste time and resources on such an unnecessary inspection unless they just don't trust the hydro facility. (And if you don't trust the hydro facility, why would you send tanks to them?) I can see taking another peek inside before installing the valve just to make sure nothing has gotten in the open tank. That is what I do when I take a tank to a hydro facility. But why claim all the unnecessary services other than to try to justify the excess charges by the shop? A VIS after a re-qualification should not be charged the same as a off-year VIS. It is just a little thing. But it is a clear example of a shop simply taking advantage of customers because they can. No value added - just an up-charge.

I like my LDS and want to support them. I love to go in and discuss diving with them. They are all nice guys and very helpful. unfortunately, I generally have two problems. First I do most of my diving when I travel. The only local diving we have is a couple of quarries and they are closed 6 months out of the year. Seems that most of my incidental or small gear purchases happen at dive shops where I am diving. I even bought a computer at a dive shop in Hawaii while on vacation. I had planned to buy it from my LDS when I returned but my depth gauge died and I needed something to take on my next dive.

The second is that most of my major purchases have been used gear. I'm working on a budget here. I recently decided to buy a BC. Went to my LDS and discussed option and even picked something out. But ultimately the $550+ was a bit more than I could handle. I got online and found a Seaquest Pro QD with i3 for less than $300 and bought it.

And then there are those times when they just don't sell what I am looking for.

I will continue to try and support my LDS but if the price is >25% more (as it usually is), I will probably go online.

I'm fortunate enough to live near a very good dive shop. I support them because they provide a good service. I learned to dive with another local dive school who are just up the road from me and I am now an actve member of their club, however, all they do is teach. Recently they have put display cabinet in the classroom with a few small bits in it, but things like cylinders, suits, regs etc. you would have to get elsewhere. Quite a lot of students are holiday divers who are keen to own a little bit of shiny kit (remember how excited when you bought your first mask and snorkel?) so it is a great opportunity to make a few extra quid on top of the course.

The shop I use supply everything including equipment and training and also run a very succesful internet business. It is a very slick business with a great website and loads of kit in stock. Every time I go in I am greeted with an offer of tea or coffee and there are no high pressure sales. Their prices are competetive to begin with and they will always match any genuine like for like price. Recently they got a couple of divers that had dived some seriously deep wrecks in the North Channel to talk about their expedition. At first they were going to use the classroom but the numbers were massive. The owner hired a room at the golf club across the road. He did not take a penny for this, however, we all met in the shop beforehand which probably helped his takings. Whatever his motives, gestures to this make people come back.

Because my local school are competitors on the training side, I sometimes hear a few snide comments. I heard the owner of the local school saying the owner of the shop said his intention is to put every other dive school out of business. I do not believe this for one minute, however, unless other dive schools keep up with him they will lose custom. The dive shop is doing nothing underhand - he just provides a better service.

When I began diving, I printed off some pages from the shop's website and took them the the school to ask the instructor's advice. He told me it was suitable but not to buy from the shop. He then gave me the number of another shop that is located on an indudtrial estate. I went for a look and they are nowhere near as good. The shop is much smaller and most stuff has to be ordered in. Also the opening hours are shorter meaning it is difficult for anybody who works normal business hours to get there.

Until an air whip is intalled on my PC I'll be supporting my LDS whenever I can. Besides the owner of my LDS is one of my dive buddies also.

Until an air whip is intalled on my PC I'll be supporting my LDS whenever I can. Besides the owner of my LDS is one of my dive buddies also.
Which means you get discounts on all the stuff you buy, right? :tongue:

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2013 at 09:25 AM ----------

Because it was already done if needed, as required by federal regulations, as part of the re-qualification. A tank with a thread defect would be detected and condemned, as appropriate, by the hydro facility. Why would a shop waste time and resources on such an unnecessary inspection unless they just don't trust the hydro facility. (And if you don't trust the hydro facility, why would you send tanks to them?) I can see taking another peek inside before installing the valve just to make sure nothing has gotten in the open tank. That is what I do when I take a tank to a hydro facility. But why claim all the unnecessary services other than to try to justify the excess charges by the shop? A VIS after a re-qualification should not be charged the same as a off-year VIS. It is just a little thing. But it is a clear example of a shop simply taking advantage of customers because they can. No value added - just an up-charge.

It is routine and doing a job correctly and completely. If being charged $15. for a complete and correct visual on a tank-eddy test required or not- with new o rings,cristolube and cleaning exterior of valve and that also includes an air fill at no additional charge is too much for your wallet I suggest getting into a different activity.
Figure labor for the few minutes at $5...materials/expenses at $3...airfill for an 80 tank $7...there you go total is $15. Have a bigger tank/high pressure tank..its the same total of $15.

Back
Top Bottom