does DCS go away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
a couple of times after comming up from dives I have felt minor aches, especailly in my shoulders and arms. no real pain just a little sore. When this happens, I always slow down or stop what I'm doing and watch for signs and symptoms of a DCS hit, a ride to the chamber is better than a ride to the cemetary. However, both times the ache went away after a few minutes and I was ok. Could this have been barotrauma? or just sore from carrying my tanks around or something.

I'm no doctor, so take my opinions as just that. I don't think it is DCS. I dive in cold, fresh water quaries and I have to carry tanks and weights up and down a hill to get into the water and my shoulders and arms hurt after about an hour of diving. If the pain goes away, it is not DCS. DCS is a severe pain deep in the joint and it doesn't go away when you take Tylenol or aspirin.

But, if you want piece of mind, give DAN a call and ask them.

Just my 2 cents.

it depends, Type I DCS will go away by itself assuming you dont keep diving. Type II DCS however will not go away and will get worse if not treated.

it is true that very often after the dive tanks have to be carried all over the place and that muscle ache could be confused with DCS, when that happens take your dive profile into consideration, after a 30 min dive to 40 ft DCS is not likely to occur, after a 30 min dive to 100 ft that is a different story and you need to also think about what your ascent looked like.

And of course if in doubt give DAN a call..

sheck33 once bubbled...
it depends, Type I DCS will go away by itself assuming you dont keep diving. Type II DCS however will not go away and will get worse if not treated.

What is Type I DCS and what is Type II DCS?

I used to experience sore and pain inside my left elbow after a diving trip a tear ago. This sore went away after few days. I did not do anything at that time. After that I never experience any problem anymore and I still actively dive (like 3 trips a year). If that was DCS what would be the long term effect to me since I did not do anything at that time?

Thanks

Type I DCS involves the musculoskeletal, skin or lymphatic systems. Signs & symptoms can include limb/joint pain (such as in the shoulder & elbow); transient itching sometimes with rash or marbling of the skin; and, swelling & soreness of lymphatic tissue. Type I DCS can resolve without treatment, but it is not wise to ignore it.

Type II DCS involves the neurological, cardiorespiratory or inner ear systems. Signs & symptoms can include paralysis, fatigue, weakness, incoordination, headache, numbness or strange sensations of the skin & visual disturbances; a burning sensation in the chest & breathing difficulty; and, balance & hearing disorders. Type II DCS typically does not resolve without treatment, and can get worse. It can be very serious and should not be ignored.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such. A diver who suspects that s/he has sustained DCS of any type should seek prompt medical evaluation.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I Think I got Type I DCS last week cleaning out the garage.
But seriously, I AM 44 years old and minor aches and pains in the joints are a part of life. So I often wonder if I would be able to tell the difference between normal aches and Type I DCS.
Any thoughts?

Rick Inman once bubbled...
I Think I got Type I DCS last week cleaning out the garage.
But seriously, I AM 44 years old and minor aches and pains in the joints are a part of life. So I often wonder if I would be able to tell the difference between normal aches and Type I DCS.
Any thoughts?

That is difficult to determine. When you go diving i guess the best thing to do would be to be aware of your diveprofile, your level of hydration, ascent rate and things like that. Also be aware of any heavy lifting of tanks you might have done after the dive. Knowing all these factors will aid in determining whether a joint pain might be just that or more. Call DAN if in doubt.

Dear Rick:

DCS Pain ;-0

Pain from activities of daily living - such as cleaning the garage - can mimic “the bends” and vive versa. There is not a really method to tell with certainty in a field setting.

In the laboratory, we use Doppler bubble detection systems and test for the presence of bubbles in the veins draining that limb. In addition, we employ the “test of pressure.”

None of these are available to recreational divers. One must ever have a high “index of suspicion” if one has been diving. A pain that has appeared on that spot before from sports or yard work is probably just that again if you have been active. Unfortunately, that is the best that can be said. If you feel something different, such as numbness, tingling or weakness, that is a different matter altogether.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Dr. Deco writes:

"In the laboratory, we use Doppler bubble detection systems and test for the presence of bubbles in the veins draining that limb. In addition, we employ the 'test of pressure.' ... None of these are available to recreational divers."

I have friends (pretty advanced by recreational standards, but it's a tossup as to whether you'd call them rec or technical divers) who carry field Doppler equipment on the boat to check for bubbles after dives. I gather this is the same type of test you mention? If I had a shoulder ache after a dive, got one of these friends to test me and found no evidence of bubbles, would that be a fairly strong reassurance against the possibility of DCS?

bluebanded goby once bubbled...
Dr. Deco writes:

"In the laboratory, we use Doppler bubble detection systems and test for the presence of bubbles in the veins draining that limb. In addition, we employ the 'test of pressure.' ... None of these are available to recreational divers."

I have friends (pretty advanced by recreational standards, but it's a tossup as to whether you'd call them rec or technical divers) who carry field Doppler equipment on the boat to check for bubbles after dives. I gather this is the same type of test you mention? If I had a shoulder ache after a dive, got one of these friends to test me and found no evidence of bubbles, would that be a fairly strong reassurance against the possibility of DCS?

The problem is that bubbling isn't necessarily a sign of DCS. Most people bubble after a dive. (doc?)

You don't need doppler to measure for bubbles. There is a new method where you look for bubbles in the tear fluid at the bottom of the eye. I suspect you could develop a method where all you need is a magnifying glass and a good eye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom