does DCS go away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear goby:

Doppler Monitoring

The problem with Doppler devices is that they monitor the veins draining all of the tissues (e.g., of the arm). It would be nice it they could monitor only the connective tissue, but this is not possible. Thus, the presence of Doppler bubbles is useful knowledge but not unequivocal proof of DCS. Additionally, the converse is also true. The absence of bubbles is likewise not proof that DCS is absent. A sore arm and many bubbles together is, however, very suspicious - especially if that arm is normally pain-free following physical activity.

In the lab, we perform Doppler studies, a test of pressure, and even then are often at a loss. Sometimes the results are simply written down and we wait untill the whole study study to sort it out.:confused:

Researches have sought a fool-proof test for DCS for several decades. This would be especially valuable if it were a blood test. The fact that DCS is very localized and most likely mechanical (i.e., the growth of a gas phase) in nature, at least initially, makes this difficult. That has not stopped us from trying.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Dr. Deco, can you comment on the occular tear film method of detecting dcs? I know this is in it's infancy, but it looks like something that could easily be done after a dive by trained buddies. As such it would provide a lot more data and could be correlated to how one feels.

I still think it has the same limitations as the doppler, because it probably measures a similarly removed set of bubbles, but it's still an interesting method due to the fact that it requires little or no equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom