Does "Discover SCUBA" discourage new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I did the “Free Scuba” lessons at our AI in Cozumel in 2010. It was our 2nd or 3rd trip and we both wanted to try scuba, so we both went to our Dr. to see if we were healthy enough to dive. I had a stint 8 yrs. prior and my wife had surgery on her inner ear about 3 years prior. We were both cleared by the Dr. Yes! :D

We (group of 10 hotel guests) did a 2 hour classroom session, then about an hour in the pool. Then for $45 ea (the pool part was free, but no complaints here), we (group of 6) all met at Sunset beach where we geared up and started our shore dive. 45-50 minutes at a max depth of 25’.
I was hooked. My wife on the other hand could not clear her ear all the way. She loved the experience but just was not comfortable and understands my love for the sport.

4 months later I got certified and she did not try. She said that she wanted to try the Discover Scuba again on our next trip (#8). Can’t wait.

I am glad we did the Discover Scuba, it gave us good insight into what to expect.

IMO if the Discover Scuba is done by a reputable dive shop, it’s worth the time and money.

My only question is, Why did I not get certified 30 years ago?:dork2:

I've got a couple of friends who'll never dive again thanks to being herded through mass 'resort-dives' on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. That's not 'Discover SCUBA', it's taking someone's money off them for underwater tourism. Done properly, a DSD is a comfortable, enjoyable experience that genuinely gives someone a taste of what diving - and learning to dive - is like. Not everyone gets it, mind you. I'll never forget the girl who surfaced and said 'Yeah, it was ok. But without the Hammerhead it would have been quite boring, I don't think I'll do Open Water...'

When we do DSD we do the full Confined Water 1/Open Water 1 option, then take the cost of the DSD off the Open Water course fee if the student signs up straight away. It's a nice way of easing the unsure past their initial fears without making them commit until they know they're going to enjoy it.

Where I get really wound up by 'DSD' is when we get people turning up here who've done it half-a-dozen times, think they're experienced divers, and expect to be taken on a 'trust-me' dive to see whatever they want. More than once we've had people tell us about being taken to 28m in a cave on a DSD, being taken inside a wreck, doing this, doing that, and then getting stroppy when we tell them that's all well and good, but with us they will be doing a lecture, a CW session, and a dive to a maximum of 10m/35' on a sheltered, easy reef. Too many instructors are, and I think supergaijin is probably on the money as to why, taking DSDs way past the limits it was designed for and turning it into the worst kind of underwater tourism. It doesn't discourage people from diving, it just makes them think there's no point learning to dive independently because instructors are there to shepherd them through whatever experience they want.

I've got a couple of friends who'll never dive again thanks to being herded through mass 'resort-dives' on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

Its funny that you mentioned Australia. The colleague of mine that I was also alking about also had her nightmare experience in Great Barrier Reef in Australia and so did another person that I know. It may be possible that the dive culture in some Australian dive destinations is reckless towards introducing new peeps to diving.

Its funny that you mentioned Australia. The colleague of mine that I was also alking about also had her nightmare experience in Great Barrier Reef in Australia and so did another person that I know. It may be possible that the dive culture in some Australian dive destinations is reckless towards introducing new peeps to diving.

If you know nothing about diving (and, often, even if you do), it's easy to assume the Great Barrier Reef must be the be-all and end-all just because of the name and the fame, so people who are only slightly interested are more likely to decide that's the place to try diving. Inevitably, there are going to be operators who can see the $$$$ in that, and will churn through as many 'DSDs' as possible without caring whether the individual has a good experience or not, simply because the vast majority of customers for this have no intention of ever diving again anyway. It doesn't excuse it, but the whole process must be quite heartbreaking for instructors who thought they were going to share a passion with others, and end up shepherding uncaring tourists through an experience that's just another tick on an ill-thought-out list... It's easy to see how you'd become cynical doing it.

What's really sad about it is that the 'Great' in Great Barrier Reef is because it's very long, not because it's fantastic reef...

A discover scuba class kept me from getting certified for 10 years, thankfully I gave it another try. I did a discover scuba class in Cozumel and did fine in the pool but was pulled down to about 25 ft by an instructor after not being able to clear my ears...... My ears cleared with a big pop and excruciating pain for 2 days followed by dull pain for a few weeks.

To answer the OP's question directly, I have never had a DSD student NOT return to get certified. I admit I do charge for DSDs, so that may weed out some those are not serious. By way of example here is a review I got from my last DSD class:

Thank you Robert for making my first scuba experience so much fun. With my daughter with me I didn't want to be embarrassed at how anxious I can be in the water! You made me feel safe, kept me calm and made it super fun. I was so thrilled with your approach to my first experience that Emily and I are going to definitely pursue getting certified! I can't wait! Thank you again for helping me with my anxiety.
Robyn and Emily

Last edited:
On the flipside I would have likely never done a scuba course. One DSD later and I was hooked.

My two college-aged kids and I did a DS dive in Provo and it was very well-done. Watched a video & had some basic class instruction and a very good pool session. The next morning, dove a nice reef at 35 ft. One instructor with the three of us, and we really felt pretty confident from a basic skills standpoint when we did the open water dive. The next year, we returned to do our OW certification dives with the same shop. All three of us felt like we had an advantage over many during the confined water classes because we felt comfortable with basic skills (mask clearing, equalization, etc.) from what we had learned during the DS experience. I can't imagine a better experience, as it definitely confirmed our interest in becoming certified and made the certification process seem easy.

I offer two options for uncertified dive-experience courses, and I discuss with the student which one is more appropriate for him/her. For some people, starting out in the pool is the way to go; for others, there's really no need for the pool session first. It all depends on their comfort in the water, their previous experience (good or bad), their personalities, etc. I don't presume to impose a one-size-fits-all strategy that everybody has to go to the pool first or that nobody needs to. I do two ocean dives with all my DSDs, regardless of whether we've done a pool session or not.

Not all my DSD students continue on to cert courses. Many just don't have enough time in their travel schedules to do so, sometimes they decide to go get certified later at home, and a rare few say afterwards that the DSD satisfied their curiosity and they are done with diving. I think that last group look on the experience in much the way they would see going on a glass-bottom boat tour, or a sea-walker or snuba tour--just a fun thing to do while on vacation.

As to the DSD/try dive thing, PADI is now making a clear distinction between these. There have been announcements in the professional members publications, and there's a brand-new DSD booklet which could strengthen the "typical" conduct of that particular program.

Last edited:
6 years ago while on vacation with my girlfriend and another couple in Cancun we all decided to go diving using the resort course. I had been certified for years but none of them were. My girlfriend struggled the most but the dive master held her hand the whole time, literally. All 3 of them came back home and got certified. All of my vacations are now centered around diving. My girlfriend has turned into an excellent diver and I have even taken my diving to new levels. All because of how that resort course worked out.

If done right, it can be a great thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom