does drysuit use hamper you putting on fins, etc.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean

Contributor
Reaction score
Two of my friends are reasonably heavy set, but they are still flexible, and have no trouble putting on and taking off their fins when using wetsuits.

However, both seem to have difficulty when using their drysuits (both use fairly thick non-neoprene Bare Suits) putting on and taking off their fins.

I'm soon to be the proud owner of a Signature series DUI TLS350, and wonder if my ability to do the same tasks will be hampered by drysuit use...as compared to the "no difficulty whatsoever" I have now, using a 7mm wetsuit.

Is the issue possibly just with Bare suits? The thickness? both? neither?

I welcome your thoughts.

Sean

Assuming the suits fit, I can't see you having an issue.

What exactly do they have a problem with?
Is it bending over, does the suit bind?

If that's the case, it's just that their suit do not fit well.

ERP once bubbled...
Assuming the suits fit, I can't see you having an issue.

What exactly do they have a problem with?
Is it bending over, does the suit bind?

If that's the case, it's just that their suit do not fit well.

Thanks ERP....

I think it is in getting to the figure "4" that folks use.....i.e. cross your left ankle onto your right thigh, and then put your left fin on with your right hand, etc.

At least one of the two has a custom-sized suit....

We need to dive soon....my suit arrives in approx two weeks. :)

I think it is in getting to the figure "4" that folks use.....i.e. cross your left ankle onto your right thigh, and then put your left fin on with your right hand, etc.

I still think it's much easier to get them on in the water, but whatever works for you.

At least one of the two has a custom-sized suit....

Unfortunately custom sized doesn't always mean correctly sized.

But even with a suit that's a good fit, it can be the underwear binding. It's really hard to tell without seeing him try and do it in the suit.

Assuming your suit fits it should be no more difficult than in a wet suit.

ERP once bubbled...

I still think it's much easier to get them on in the water, but whatever works for you.

Unfortunately custom sized doesn't always mean correctly sized.

But even with a suit that's a good fit, it can be the underwear binding. It's really hard to tell without seeing him try and do it in the suit.

Assuming your suit fits it should be no more difficult than in a wet suit.

I agree that putting fins on in the water is the best....

I think these two guys are trying to do so, but need an ocean bottom to stand on.

I put mine on while floating.. :wink:

I suppose I'll know soon if my flexibility is affected....I'm betting that it isn't affected, especially after what you've said.

thanks!

--Sean.

I have trouble putting fins on with my drysuit but never when wearing a wetsuit. In my case it's simply a matter of flexibility. & yes, the fit of the drysuit.

In a wetsuit I can bend any whichway. With a drysuit the full range of flexibility isn't there. Although, the flexibility issue may be a non-issue with a neoprene drysuit.

Paula

I happen to be the oposite. No problems in the dry suit, but it can be abear in a wetsuit.

I remember once I sat on a swim platform to put 'em on and ended kicking them in the water because my foot sprang free while I was bending to put one on.

Maybe I'm just weird that way.

I find it more difficult to get my fins on and off while in my drysuit vs my wetsuit. My drysuit is neoprene and with the thermal undies on (and 3 pairs of socks), I'm much bulkier than I would be in a wetsuit. Also, my boots on my drysuit are much bigger than my wesuit booties and are more rigid. The fit of my boots into my fins seems much tighter thus making it harder to pull off. I find I need someone else to help pull them off when in the water as they need to be pulled off straight and not at an angle. My wet booties are narrower and overall, much smaller so they fit into my fins more easily.

I've seen some divers using a spray (I think it's silicone) in their fins which seems to make getting their fins on much easier but I haven't tried it.

Diverlady

Diverlady,

I personally have different fins for wetsuit and drysuit diving. There's a huge difference in the size of my boots that make that necessary.

I used silicone spray in a pair of fins I had years ago. I must caution you if you go that route to not overspray. If you use too much the fins could actually slip off. Also, the excess spray can get on your boots which can make walking on a boat deck risky.

Paula

Hi diver_paula

I have different fins (different sizes) for my drysuit and wetsuit as well. There's no way I could get my drysuit boots into the fins I use for my wetsuit!! But still, my drysuit fins are much harder to get on over the formed/molded drysuit boots than on little neoprene booties that conform to the feet. The dryboots are a lot wider than my wetbooties.

I've never used the silicone spray and, at this point, have no intention of using it, but thanks for the info about the potential slipping hazard. That's good to know.

Diverlady

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom