does drysuit use hamper you putting on fins, etc.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean once bubbled...

Thanks ERP....

I think it is in getting to the figure "4" that folks use.....i.e. cross your left ankle onto your right thigh, and then put your left fin on with your right hand, etc.

At least one of the two has a custom-sized suit....

We need to dive soon....my suit arrives in approx two weeks. :)

In a 7mm at first I had trouble getting into the figure 4, but eventually got the hang of it and have no problems in or out of the water as long as I have something to stablize myself.

I've gotten a few dives in on my drysuit and am having the same. More so with my left left than right, I think it's just one of those things that will take some getting used to, and understanding the limits of flexibility with the added bulk in the drysuit.

With my new drysuit on, 14kg lead, the heavy superhawk-jacket, a 12l steel-tank and 5mm neopren-gloves, landing on my butt and swallow a good mouthful at my first attempt on the fins I was surely the laughing stock of the day at my drysuit-course.;-0

On the second attempt I was a bit smarter, added a bit more air in the bcd and got on my back in the first place, still had trouble ( I cannot bend my left leg more than 90degrees in cause of a knee-surgery) moreover with getting rid of the fins again!:eek:

That time I have dived a Scubapro Kap Hoorn which is somewhat unflexible, with DUI TLS 350 it is a bit easier.
But now I have ForceFins! With them it is absolutely no stress whatsoever and I am impressed how good they operate, far better than larger fins!! :eek:ut:
More over I can walk with them fairly good, so I can dress them in shallower water where I can see them.

A lot of people talk them nonsense and they are fairly expensive, but try them if you see someone with it, they made my diving far more worthwile! (Oh my, I sound like an sales-attendant :) )

JHAM once bubbled...
I happen to be the oposite. No problems in the dry suit, but it can be abear in a wetsuit.

I totally agree. Never a problem in my drysuit (custom bilam - no neoprene). But man, those big, thick-ass wetsuits were brutally restrictive - added to the fact I was totally fatigued just getting the damn wetsuit on, before even thinking of fins!

In fact, given what a pain a wetsuit was, I shall never again don a neoprene suit, wet or dry. Nylon and fleece, mmmm, yummy...

C.

There is always a little resistance to movement with a thick thermal suit.

Once you break in your drysuit, it will probably be less resistant to movement than a thick wetsuit.

I suspect that a bit of the issue has to do with body type, and some has to do with suit type...

Since I'm waiting for a relatively thin (flexible...) DUI TLS350, I hope to not have any of the issues....

One thing I do wonder about the two guys I mentioned in the original post is whether they did the flexibility test(s) when they bought their suits. DUI seems to recommend two or three bending tests to accomplish, in order to know if your suit fits.

I'd hate to not be able to reach back to my valves, etc. in the suit...could be problematic.

I should have my suit less than two weeks. (Yay!!)

--Sean

Am pretty flexible and new at this and still get a bit of a hand getting fins on and off. But am practicing and can at least get mines on, in the water with someone to lean on. Don't think its a flexibility question, is more a practice thing. The more you do anything the easier it gets. Feels strange and difficult, but do it enough and it will come easier, keep at it, i am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom