Does everyone really need an SPG? (w/transmitter)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you cant just keep saying "youre wrong youre wrong hur dur hur dur reeeeee!" without explaining how and expect anyone to take you seriously.

Don't take my word for it, do your own research and find out what/why. Very simple, read your book, read the DC manual and do search on the internet.

frankly, given your arrogance and hubris youve displayed here, i wouldnt want to get in the water with you.

Hahahahah. I wish you safe diving.

Don't take my word for it, do your own research and find out what/why. Very simple, read your book, read the DC manual and do search on the internet.
well i cant take your word....you still havent given one......

If you've installed an air pressure transmitter that shows you remaining pressure on your dive computer, do you really need the hose SPG?

Yes.

I've read a few comments about batteries running out during dives. I don't think you can blame this on the technology.

When I was using Oceanic PDCs the manual clearly stated the TX batteries are designed to last longer then the PDC battery, and recommended always changing both at the same time. RTFM folks.

If you've installed an air pressure transmitter that shows you remaining pressure on your dive computer, do you really need the hose SPG?

Sure, if the transmitter or computer malfunctioned, you needn't end the dive because the spg is there.

But to retain the spg in the unlikely event of a malfunctioning transmitter and be able to continue that dive?

You'd bring and store your spg and of the transmitter malfunctions, it takes a movie with a wrench between dives to connect.

Or are there other reasons to have the spg?
Outside of technical diving, I think the honest answer is no. I ditched the redundant spg a couple years ago. It's easy enough to end the dive in the unlikely event of a malfunction. Just as you would have to do in the unlikely event of a malfunctioning spg if that were your only method to measure tank pressure.

I'm sure as time goes on, fewer and fewer will want to bring a redundant gauge.

I've read a few comments about batteries running out during dives. I don't think you can blame this on the technology.

When I was using Oceanic PDCs the manual clearly stated the TX batteries are designed to last longer then the PDC battery, and recommended always changing both at the same time. RTFM folks.

You might not "blame" it on the tech, but that issue is inherent to the tech. SPGs have their own inherent issues. That's why many divers dive with redundant systems - to reduce the likely hood that the inoperability of one system would cause you to abort your dive, or worse. For all the BS that's been spat of this thread I've not heard one good reason why you absolutely should avoid carrying a redundant air supply measuring device, whether you have an AI or not. Plenty of reasons for carrying it, though......

You might not "blame" it on the tech, but that issue is inherent to the tech. SPGs have their own inherent issues. That's why many divers dive with redundant systems - to reduce the likely hood that the inoperability of one system would cause you to abort your dive, or worse. For all the BS that's been spat of this thread I've not heard one good reason why you absolutely should avoid carrying a redundant air supply measuring device, whether you have an AI or not. Plenty of reasons for carrying it, though......
Well, in the time I've had a Perdix AI, I've had 2 SPGs fail, stuck during dives.

For recreational diving where I'm taking pictures, I'm in sidemount, have transmitters on both my cylinders and no SPG. I can check my cylinder pressures with just looking at my wrist and I never let go of my camera with either hand.

I could in sidemount have both an SPG and a transmitter, but that's kind of an ugly setup (my opinion).

Now for technical diving, there's no camera. I'll just conform and have SPGs instead of transmitters. For technical diving, I'm big on matching gear as much as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom