Does gearing up really tire you out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
What does wear me out, though, is getting into three layers of undergarment and a drysuit in hot weather. I'm panting by the time I get to the water on those days.
At least you no longer don d.s. and BP/W in the kitchen, alone :wink: .

Thank you ForEver for the gift of that beautiful tale :heart:

Claudette

Since I instruct, I have to handle everyone's gear, and yes, it gets to be very tiring even though I'm in good shape, especially in hot weather. Almost all of my diving is boat diving in the ocean in reasonably warm waters, and I have learned a few useful boat diving tips:

1. Dress as much as possible before the boat leaves the dock. Put on wet suit up to the waist and put on booties.

2. Get everything (mask, camera, etc.) ready to go beside of you before you put on your fins and BCD.

3. Even though you usually put fins on last in most cases, put your fins on first, right before you put on your weights and BCD. Make sure to sit down after putting on your fins.

4. Put your weight belt on before your BCD. If you have integrated weights, put the releasable weights in after you put on the BCD.

5. Put gloves on last.

6. Get off of the boat as soon as possible.

There are many other considerations, but these are just a few I find to be helpful.

Oh yes!!!! I used to be tuckered out when I've finally got everything hoisted up. It was especially bad when I was first learning it.

Now, that I've started taking up yoga, I noticed on my AOW dives a couple a weeks ago that it wasn't as bad as it used to be. Of course since it was at Catalina, one of the easiest places you could dive at, maybe that's a bit unfair comparison. Got to see how I'm like at Redondo and Malibu's beaches and stairs. Unfortunately, no words can possibly convey my dislike of shore dives and of the surf zones.

It's really the walk that gets to me. I seriously hate walking with all that gear. I am pretty tuckered out by the time I get to the ocean. Boat dives are sooooooo much easier!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, knowing that my yoga has made that much difference (really surprising to me) certainly has given me the incentive to do my yoga even more. It's pretty much a love/hate relationship. :D

I'm not really a fan of gyms so, eh, but I do want to lift weights eventually to make it easier on myself with all that gear. I probably won't since I'm not really the type to go to the gym or lift weights. Oh well. Maybe I'll run a bit.......maybeeeeee.

I wish I dove as much as TSandM and HBDiveGirl. Life would be heavenly indeed.

several thoughts.. 1) Giving enough time so you don't feel rushed.. 2) Use a cart to haul gear.. tks especially... from the car to the boat.. 3) Diving Nitrox took away a lot of fatigue 4) weight training 2x week 5) Staying fully hydrated.. even though this means hitting the head both before and after the dive, as I dive dry.. 6) set up before leaving dock.. 7) Not spending lots of time on deck with gear on.. check gear.. gather everything I'm taking in.. suit up.. fins on.. tank on.. connect suit.. check "stuff".. mask on.. gloves on last... in I go..

I agree dealing with the gear can be tiring. I'm 49 and could lose a few pounds but I do exercise regularly. As others I have found using a gear bag with wheels makes life a lot easier. I was in Cozumel last week using my new gear bag and what a relief.

I also gear up as early as possible. Doing a little at a time so I try to avoid having to get in my wetsuit etc quickly at the last minute. As for getting back on the boat I've never seemed to have any real problems. But after several days of diving everything does seem to get to me even if it's just a little.

I remember my instructor saying time and time again...nothing gets you in shape for diving except diving.

While I was managing a dive center (hauling tanks, slinging gear daily...) I was in awesome shape. Even the hikes back up the hills from the shore dives didn't phase me. But now, I'm lucky to dive once a week...and once a week is no training regimen. So, yeah, I feel it.

But, when I get to descend beneath the surface and spend an hour in such peace and splendor, I forget about the heavy gear. It really does make it all worth it!

TSandM...I really will try the doubles though...promise.

very, even though I'm younger than most of the people who posted so far and reasonably fit. I'm just weak and get tired easy. Slowing down has made a huge difference, as has diving dry- harder to get the gear on but the less fatigue overall because of staying warm.

It's like a dance in my opinion. My wife and I came to the sport 2 years ago just as we were approaching 50. Initially the gear for cold water diving here in Maine was daunting. With experience you avoid useless activity, learn to pace things and in general just get better at it with practice.

At the end of the day it's the price of admission for entry into another world so considerer the effort worthwhile to say the least.

Take a critical look at your configuration as well. Going from an AL-80 to a HP-80 can let you remove about 7 pounds from your weight belt and make you about 12 pounds lighter on your feet. For a small person 12 pounds can be a lot.

Pete

Ok, im not going to pass for a woman, but ill throw in my 2 pounds of lead..
I can get fatigued by hauling and donning, a bit dependant on the dive site. Also, If i fool around with un-neccesary activities while donning or donned, I can get fatigued very easilly.
Ive found one thing to serve 2 purposes tho.. My lead is always the last thing i put on and the first thing i take off. Doing this prevent me from walking around with the extra weight, as well as it avoids me getting the weights thrown on top of other gear, thus damaging it.
Not rushing things helps a lot..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom