Does gender make a difference?

Which would you prefer as your instructor, female instructor or a male instructor?

• Female Instructor

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Male Instructor

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 118 78.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummmm - it doesn't matter. We are all people under the neoprene. I just want a good instructor that appeals to my sense of adventure and teaches the skills so that I am safe. (And buys beer in the pub afterwards) And although (super non-PC not santioned by the Board - gender stereotype) females tend to be more people-oriented and male more technology-oriented I have not encountered this amoungst the instructors I have met both male and female.

And face it, once you add 3/2 7mm wet suit (or suitable dry suit -DG) to hide any and all curves/excess body mass; a hood to hide hair and head; gloves over manicured hands or heavily calused; fins to destabilze any feet fetish; A tank to make us all hunchbacked, weight so we all move slow; a mask to distort the face and eyes, and a regulator to hide the mouth and lips. So when we are under the water - who can tell any way

And syruss - you haven't seen me in neoprene ....I look soooooo good. :tease:

I think that the important issue is whether an instructor is qualified and behaves in a manner that makes me think he/she knows what they are doing.

Naturally - like Syruss - if the choice was between Abby and Belushi - I think I would pick Abby - but that's just me...
Hey Belushi - better hold on to her... You got about a dozen "brothers" here who will make sure you take good care of her...

Big T
(Oh, and I'm some big Danish bloke btw)

Either

He/She must have the most experience in the skill I am trying to learn and the ability to teach and also be able to make me laugh and enjoy what I am learning. If you can’t crack a joke and make learning fun no matter how great your skills are I won’t enjoy it and I will learn less…Diving no matter how advanced the skill should be fun and exciting. (Even on Tri-mix at 440 fsw or in my pool at 8 feet in the deep end!)

as long as they are good teachers and are very experienced outside of teaching in the type of diving they are teaching.
IOW, if the only staged deco diving the instructor does is when teaching the class, I have no real interest in taking that class from that instructor even though they may be very stong in other areas and a desirable person learn from in those areas.

Peace,
Sam :D

you got me LOL on that last one.......:D

Hi All,
When I first read the question, My first thought was male. Both of my instructors have been great teachers and both were male. When I thought about it though, I realized it shouldn't matter. Being a good teacher is what's important. Maybe someday I will have a female instuctor. Hopefully it won't change how I responded to this poll. :D:

Tavi

I have had both, a male for my OW and a female for my AOW. I didnt find any difference inknowledge or teaching technique, but I did find the female seemed, and I say seemed to be intimidated by me. Perhaps because I was older than everyone else and the younger "kids" gravitated to me .

Butch :peace:

Gee Butch, having seen you in rubber........ maybe she was intimidated for some other reason?

Hmmmm, Enquiring minds want to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom