Does gender make a difference?

Which would you prefer as your instructor, female instructor or a male instructor?

• Female Instructor

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Male Instructor

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 118 78.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBaby

Contributor
Reaction score
This is something I have thought about a lot....I never wanted a female instructor. I guess cause I feel more comfortable with men and make male friends easier than women but does it go deeper?

I've started this poll to see what others have or do feel about this - whether they'd prefer a man or female instructor...and don't forget to post reasons - if you have any, as to why you have that preference!

Both female and male instructors have their strong points that come from being different sexes, not neccesarily one being a better instructor than the other. Does that makes sense?

As long as the instructor is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject they are teaching, I have no preference for either one.

To me it doesn't matter if an instructor is male or female. It depends more on the person. An instructor should be knowledgeable and patient. Everyone is different and it's more about compatibility. I've seen instructors both male and female that I will and will not dive with.

Ldreamin

Gender *always* makes a difference.
In everything!
Rick

No difference to me.

The one active female instructor at the shop I use in the UK came top on her IDC out of more than 20 candidates (I think - number of candidates that is, I know she came top!)

Have to agree with Ldreamin and Dee

Jonathan

It doesn't matter. My instructor was a male. Did a good job and I trust him. When we go to Cozumel we dive with a female. I trust her too. And enjoy diving with her. She will be instucting my daughter in March. You need to find somebody you can work with and feel comfortable with.

I've met a few of each I would not want to dive with.

Like the answer to a few other instuctor questions we've discussed in the past, it depends on the instructor. Not the gender.

Tom

It does not matter to me. The only diving comparison that I can make is with DMs. Linda, of Bubbles Below in Kauai, is one of the very best DMs that we have ever had the pleasure to dive with. I will put her in the top 5!

So, I will extrapolate to dive teachers...

Joewr...who also adheres to "vive l'difference"

I have always been hesistant on having a female instructor. The one time I did buckle for Belushi, it was one of his friends, she forget to tell me that we were doing a roll entry into the water...she got in and I was left on the boat thinking....what am I suppose to do !?

I guess thats kinda put a dampener on my hopes it would motivate me to be comfortable with female instructors.

But I am lucky cause Belushis an instructor and hes harder on me than most instructors so I know I'll get taught well by him and the only other person I have ever dived with is my dad or some german blokie called Olaf!

Anyway, I'm rambling so I'll be quiet now!!!

I have DMed for both, and find little difference in respect to their gender. They all seem to care about their craft, and they did not make huge glaring errors. All of them make certain errors, and some even forget to teach (like yours, SB), but all command respect. I did have one female instructor seem to take issue with me. As I have that certain open demeanor, many students would come to me for help, rather than to her. She saw it as a loss of authority and always tried to point out how she thought I was demeaning hers. I will never DM for her again, although she has asked me to. If I can't be part of a team and really help the students, I am out of there. I refuse to be "just another strong back" or " just another set of eyes in the pool". But that was only one instructor, and the problem could have arisen even if she were male. She just choose to frame the issue in terms of gender equality, when I think that it was merely a personality difference.

:tease:

I don't think it would matter to me much whether the instructor were male or female so long as they were good instructors and able to teach me well.

But I would say that women in general look a WHOLE lot better in a wetsuit than guys do so that might be a plus. But this is training not dating we are discussing so it wouldn't matter heheheh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom