Does it matter if you are "overweighted" as long as you are comfortable?

What is more important, carrying little weight or being comfortable?

• If I am comfortable, I won't try to lower my weight.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I will try lower weight, but will rather be on the heavy side.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • My current weight works, but I will keep ditching weight until it doesn't work anymore.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I will always strive to use as little weight as possible, even if my current weight "works."

Votes: 76 59.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VanGirl:
This discussion has given me lots to mull over... Especially the bits about end of dive checks with your safety stops. I was definitly over weighted then this weekend if I'm understanding this so far. Looks like I've got some 'tweaking' to do... :sprite10: For now at 108lbs, diving dry, I'm packing 20 in the belt and another 17 (e.g. 7 bullets) in the BCD. Hmmmm....
Question: Ankle weights? Handy? or Don't bother?

Get thee to the water!!

After your next dive, with an almost empty tank, get in the water with no air in your BC or drysuit and see exactly how much it takes to make you *just* start to sink when you exhale.

I bet it'll be a lot less than 37 pounds.

During my OW days, I wore 34 pounds. 20 dives later, I was doing fine with 24 pounds. One drysuit and a new BC later, I'm diving with 20.

H2Andy:
today, i used 12 lbs on my first dive and felt very good (down from 16 lbs). on my second dive, i used 10 lbs, and things were ok until i hit about 750 psi, and then it became a little difficult to stay neutral (in fact, i was pretty positive). i still managed to more or less hold my own until i hit 10 feet, at which point it was fairly impossible to stay submerged (with no air on my BC).

i'll dive with 10 lbs next time, again, and see how it goes. i hope to then start shedding weight again.

Way to go H2Andy! :bounce: I'm pretty sure that, if your experience is/was like mine, you found that less weight made for a better dive all around ;o)

Don't push it - but keep working at it, and I'm quite sure the weight will come off (but only to a point) and you'll find the ideal weight for you. What's really cool is that you'll more easily find the right weight in other conditions as you learn to add, subtract, and account for the factors that influence your "neutrality" as you dive more and more.

Best wishes, and happy bubbles...

VanGirl:
This discussion has given me lots to mull over... Especially the bits about end of dive checks with your safety stops. I was definitly over weighted then this weekend if I'm understanding this so far. Looks like I've got some 'tweaking' to do... :sprite10: For now at 108lbs, diving dry, I'm packing 20 in the belt and another 17 (e.g. 7 bullets) in the BCD. Hmmmm....

As has been mentioned, how much you need will depend on lots of factors, including type of drysuit, what you're wearing for undergarments, type of cylinder, amount of flotation in your BCD, and physiology.

That said, 37 lbs. seems like an awful lot for someone your size. I would certainly recommend a weight check. In your case, get into about 10 feet of water with 500 psi in your cylinder ... then start taking bullets out of your pocket and laying them on the bottom. When you can maintain a hover with an empty BCD and very little air in your drysuit, you're at about the correct weight.

Ankle weights? I'm not a big fan of 'em. At best they fix a "symptom" rather than address a problem ... and more often than not all they really do is make it more difficult for you to achieve a proper horizontal swimming position. If you're experiencing floaty feet, try adjusting your trim weights, or moving your cylinder a little lower in the tank straps to address the problem.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

hey, thanks guys... good to read all these views...

and yes, i weighed myself "neutral" at 17 lbs, but i have gained (some) weight since
then (quit smoking). also, i think i didn't quite get it right and weighed myself much
too negative (inexperience).

and yes, shedding even 4 pounds felt wonderful. it was great to feel neutral and not
have to be adding and dumping air.

so, i am a believer. less is better when it comes to weight.

we'll see if 10 lbs is my neutral point at the end of the dive, but i suspect it is not.

I like to dive a little heavy. The most physically sound argument against it becoming neutral increases the surface area and therefore drag of your BC. IMO the weight (less than .5% of your total weight) doesn't make nearly the 'work' (air consumption) difference as the increased drag.

I believe the extra pound makes sense:
a. safety stop(s)
b. currents
c. quick desents... saving a few minutes on a desent on a multi-level dive outweighs the ego of "I dive with fishing weights".

H2Andy:
I have recently embarked on a campaign to reduce my
weight.

I dive with a two-piece 3mm farmer john and a 3mm vest with
hood (9mm total on my chest). I have an Oceanic Probe
BC and dive AL80's or AL100's. I weigh 175 lbs, but am
on the "slim" side for 5'10''

i wear 6 pounds on non-ditchable (high) pockets and
10 pounds on the ditchable pouches. with my tank high,
i have perfect horizontal trim. i feel extremely comfortable
in the water.

what do you guys think? should i start trying to ditch weight?
or...

why mess with something that works?

your thoughts are appreciated.

If your total weight in lead is 16 pounds, based on your exposure suit and tank sizes, I'd say you probably won't be shedding much weight.

VanGirl:

Just agreeing with NWGratefulDiver here, drysuit weighting is completely different. As for ankle weights, ditto as well. One item that can be controversial is whether or not you should use your drysuit as your bouyancy compensator as well. I only introduce enough air to remove squeeze and thats it, and have never had floaty feet. Some argue that it is too complicated to dive manipulating both a BCD and your Drysuit, to which I say practice and get used to it, because it is the better way to dive in my opinion.

They just call them Jet fins. :D

Seriously, fins that are negative are the same as wearing ankle weights. If you fins float and you don't want to switch then adding weights to them *might* be helpful.

For SCUBA getting the weight just right is worth the effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom