Does PADI Allow to combine to specialties certification in one inmersion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want the training, but what I don't want is my instructor charging me for almost twice as much as it would cost me to go diving on my own (even worse since I dive with a dive op and he just rents a "panga"). Since we don´t live by the sea, he charges a lot just to come to certify us (my buddy is in the same situation), so if the certifications can be made in only one weekend, that would be better for me.

You need experience, not cards. Also, you may think diving instruction is expensive, but compare what the hourly rate it is for an auto mechanic or other professional. This instructor, is a professional who brings years of training and experience to his students. Also he/she has equipment to maintain, promotional & pre-training time, time to drive to and from the dive site, the time with you, and the time of cleanup and then paperwork. Just something to think about.

Diving is expensive, especially if you dive without instruction.

Ask (and pay for) more time (dives) with the instructor. If you don't feel they are worth it, find a better mentor - and be sure to pay more.

I'm not an instructor.

And you don't want to know my hourly fee - until you need me.

I want the training, but what I don't want is my instructor charging me for almost twice as much as it would cost me to go diving on my own

Once again, if you don't have the time or money to do them both now then don't. Just do the PPB because those are core skills. Deep diving can wait.

... and if you ask me, it's perfectly logical if you're hiring an instructor to give you training that it costs more than diving on your own. The way you put that, it sounds like you're looking for a free lunch. Maybe that's not what you meant to say, but that's certainly how it came across to me.

R..

I don't like to open a thread and then leave it with out a comment, I think that's just rude, so I want to thank everyone for their opinion.

I appreciate the concern of all of you that tell me that I should improve my skills, and that is my intention, I still think that I have a lot to learn, and I thank all your inputs in this subject.

As for why I'm whining for the cost of the dives, let's just say that the cost of the specialties has changed more than once to his advantage and I'm trying to complete this course as fast as possible, so I can finish all my business with this person.

I think that is another reason these rules are in place. Without them a money grabbing agency could run specials like:
The weekender - 4 Dives
PPB done on a wreck, off a boat, in a cave, at 100 feet,at night, taking photos and learn about the fish with nitrox.
9 specialties for the low low cost of $999.99
Would you like fries with that?

:rofl3:

I don't like to open a thread and then leave it with out a comment, I think that's just rude, so I want to thank everyone for their opinion.

I appreciate the concern of all of you that tell me that I should improve my skills, and that is my intention, I still think that I have a lot to learn, and I thank all your inputs in this subject.

As for why I'm whining for the cost of the dives, let's just say that the cost of the specialties has changed more than once to his advantage and I'm trying to complete this course as fast as possible, so I can finish all my business with this person.

It's nice of you, Zap, to acknowledge the input and insights you have been offered.

About your relationship with your instructor... if you have such negative feelings, my advice would be to simply cut your losses and find somebody else with whom to complete your training. The training is the main thing, and if you are not in a "good place" with your instructor, you won't get the greatest possible benefit from it. Dive training is not simply checking off the boxes for the number of dives performed and skills demonstrated--the human element is so very important that it can literally make or break a course. For your own sake, find a different instructor.

Could it be that something was missed when he did the original price, or something has changed/been added which may have added cost? He does have to cover his costs, especially if it is a long drive.

I'll definately back what Quero said. If you are uncomfortable with the instructor then you are probably best to cut your losses and find someone else. Either consider it a learning experience, negotiate to do one only (using what you have already paid him), or do both and be done with it.

As an aside is misleading and deceptive conduct illegal where you are? How strong is the fair trade legislation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom