Does the Mares Hybrid only inflate in the back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radar_vibe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Perhaps a Mares Rep (or anyone else) can anwser this.

I am very attracted by the new mares hybrid BCD, but I do NOT want to end up with an inflatable bladder only in the back (I think this is referred to as wings :confused:).

From the pics I have seen, it seems like a classic BCD in terms of also having inflabale side panels, but as it is so new no one in my local dive shop can let me much about it.

Hope someone out there can help

Cheers

According to the mares website "The inflation bladder is entirely in the rear of the BC". So that seems to answer it.

My wife has used a mares back inflate BC for about 8 years now, and I just started using a Bare back inflate BC last year. Certainly not what everyone is comfortable with, but they seem to be gaining popularity.

Hi, The Hibrid will inflate some on the sides and mostly in the back. Very similar bladder to our Dragon and Kaila bcds. I hope this helps. We are looking forward to our first production run in April.

Best regards,

Zak

Well chaps,

Thanks for your replies!

Today, I took all the remaining mystery out of things, as I went and actually got me one of these suckers :eyebrow:

My local DS was doing a Spring promotion (on all their stock), and made me a pretty cool offer, which I could not refuse :D

So, although I have not dived with it yet, I can definitely confirm that is does “fully” inflate on the sides as well, albeit that the area is more slender than on the Prestige, for example.

I do not know what the availability is elsewhere in the world, but in Belgium the hybrid seems to have been on sale for at least a month (possibly longer) – However the thing in real life does not correspond 100% to the photo on the mares website (namely there is just a back “suspension system” lubber support – and not a hyrocushion as show on the web :no:). I also did not get any user manual nor storage sack, in which to fold it up in.:crying:

Equally, I have to say that the Mares website is not very consistent and misleading, as it highlights the “Backmounted” icon stating that the bladder is entirely in the rear, yet misses out more obvoius icons - i.e.

· It does not highlight the icon to say that it is “Foldable”
· Nor the “Egro inflator”
· Nor the “Knife grommet”
· Nor “Trim weight
· and there generally seems to hash between the “she dives” version

What is a real pain, is that there is no downloadable manual :cussing:

Fortunately, I managed to hunt down this video on You Tube, which at least gives some notion on how the thing can be folded up and for which I have no problem watching over and over again :wink:. You can also see the lubber support band “suspension system” as mentioned previously.

YouTube - Hybrid2011.mpg

Needless-to-say, I cannot wait to do my first drive with it and see how it goes. Naturally, I will post my feedback.

Cheers

Terence

Hi all,

At last, I got to try out my Hybrid a couple of times

It’s GREAT….

Ample inflation around the sides and an incredible overall volume.

** THIS BCD IS NOT A BACK PACK/WINGS **

Again, it is a pity there is no manual/instructions as it seems to have a number of points where things can be adjusted/repositioned - for example, mine is an M/L which does not mean a Medium/Large, but rather that it covers the fitting range from a Medium to a Large.

I have also been able to pack it down, thanks to the charming video demonstration. Just a slight minus point here, is that does not pack down that all that small – but then that is the trade off for having a solid back plate.

My conclusion: Full thumbs up (and I do not mean emergency ascent :D)

What's the name of the store you went to? I'm visiting Brussels next month. I hope they still have sales there :wink:

I've had the Mares Hybrid MRS Plus on order since March, and they're backordered everywhere in the US. I even contacted Mares USA who apologized noting that there have been distribution issues, and that they should be available in mid-June. That's what I've heard every month for the past 3 months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom