Doing it by yourself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know what Nemrod is talking about. I think you have to be over forty to understand it though. I was born in '60 and would ride my bicycle with no protection. I used to do what amounts to free diving solo when I was a teenager. I can remember when everybody smoked and it was a good thing. I remember soda cans when you had to use a church key to open them. I remember when a parent could disipline thier child in public. It was not only not frowned upon, it was expected. I was on the receiving end and somehow I survived to be a productive citizen. Those days are gone forever. Its too bad.
I solo dive. I've been diving for many years and know my kit and how to used it blind folded. I will only solo dive under the best of conditions and when I do I am conservative and cautious. That is not to say I do not enjoy those dives. Some of the best dives I've had were solo. Diving gives me alot of satisfaction either way. Solo diving is not for everybody. But for those who partake in it, it can be a wonderful experience.

Jim

Creed, I just sold my bike!!!!!!! The mighty Zook is gone. I am trying to convince my banker (aka the wife person) that I need a new Ducati. Do you have a bike? Dang, this always happens when I sell a bike. Oh well, more money to spend on double hose regulators!! Can you believe some guys actually buy those single hose girly regulators on purpose! N

It's better to burn out than fade away....YAR! (Guzzles beer then smashes bottle over Viking helmet).

Ha ha - seriously - I too solo dive. I will not dive anything with a buddy unless I would also dive it solo. To do so would make me a bad buddy in my opinion. I think there is a fine line between foolishly brave and confidently prepared though.

My preference is to go with a buddy the first time at a site but I don't always.

--Matt

Azza:
Gotta admit I dive solo but never on a single tank, always with doubles and hardly ever past 30 metres...well once or twice but I try not to...

I have to ask.
If you dive solo only on doubles, do you have an isolator and dual regs?
Basically wondering if you have a complete redundant system...

Scooter

LavaSurfer:
I have to ask.

Scooter
Hey Scooter

Yes I do have manifolded doubles with an isolator, as well as back up buoyancy in the form of a drysuit.

Yep, doubles, isolator, drysuit...
I enjoy the time alone.

Nemrod:
Creed, I just sold my bike!!!!!!! The mighty Zook is gone. I am trying to convince my banker (aka the wife person) that I need a new Ducati. Do you have a bike? Dang, this always happens when I sell a bike. Oh well, more money to spend on double hose regulators!! Can you believe some guys actually buy those single hose girly regulators on purpose! N

Zook eh? I have an old gs550e that I run around on. I just sold my Kawasaki 440. The gs needs a new set of sprockets, which I have, but haven't put on. It's a rat bike. Looks like hell, but just keeps going.

If I were to ride out to Tablerock, I would steal my aunt's Shadow. It's a damn site more reliable than mine :)

But, then again, you can't strap a set of 72's to the sissy bar, so maybe the dive trips should stay with ye olde four wheeled transport.

And forget that Ducati. You want something fast and one of a kind: http://transportation.hackaday.com/entry/1234000483065460/

LavaSurfer:
I have to ask.

Scooter

You can use independent doubles, with two regs. Or a pony. Or rely on the surface, if you are within twice your free dive limit. Whatever you are comfortable with. It's your life, after all.

I'm with Nemrod on this, too.
I will do any dive that I would do with a buddy. That includes wreck penetration and deco. I will try to keep the depth to 180' max till mix cert.

To tell the truth, I prefer it to diving with a random boat buddy. I always carry a pony in open water, and would rather be officially solo than trying to look out for someone with really bad buddy awareness/skills.
(Backup gas is carried even diving with my regular buddy, who I do trust. Standardizing on gear, and practicing with it, is a good thing, to the extent feasible.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom