Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am incredibly interested in DIR. I have zero interest in diving deep, mixed gasses, penetrations and the like, however, the common sense approach to diving, that I have gathered from my DIR reading, makes me wonder why in doesn't apply to mainstream diving. Granted, I was out of the sport for a number of years, and prior to re-entry, started some research into current common pratice. I used to use rubberbands to keep my 'old fashioned' gauges near my BC. My theory was if they get caught, I can break the rubberbands and potentially un-entangle myself. This thinking for me started back in the early '90s. It seems it has evolved into DIR. To my point, can I use DIR practices and still be a rec diver? I'm just testing the waters here, I have no urge to create conflict, just be as good as I can at safe diving.

Geddes:
however, the common sense approach to diving, that I have gathered from my DIR reading, makes me wonder why in doesn't apply to mainstream diving.
It does and is a benefit....BUT...where do you want to go with your diving?????

1 system..that can take you from OW to tech for you entire Diving life.

or

Re-learn a different system every time you change your diving habits.

Where do you want to let your diving take you?

DIR...as a mind set (ie no solo diving,team diving...etc etc)...is a good thing to adopt...regardless of whether or not you are DIR configured. If you are going to do tech (or might do tech)...heck..never do tech...DIR will work....and the opposite will not cover you for all types of diving.

Geddes:
I am incredibly interested in DIR. I have zero interest in diving deep, mixed gasses, penetrations and the like, however, the common sense approach to diving, that I have gathered from my DIR reading, makes me wonder why in doesn't apply to mainstream diving. Granted, I was out of the sport for a number of years, and prior to re-entry, started some research into current common pratice. I used to use rubberbands to keep my 'old fashioned' gauges near my BC. My theory was if they get caught, I can break the rubberbands and potentially un-entangle myself. This thinking for me started back in the early '90s. It seems it has evolved into DIR. To my point, can I use DIR practices and still be a rec diver? I'm just testing the waters here, I have no urge to create conflict, just be as good as I can at safe diving.

It applies completely to rec diving. The DIRF course is purely recreational.
The beauty of the "system" is that you don't need to change anything if and when you add complexity later on.

OK - I got the book and DVDs a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to get a better understanding of DIR. I thought the book was poorly edited. It had some good information but it was extremely redundant (good in diving - not in writing). The introductory section was a decent overview but the following sections basically started with a rehash (almost verbatim) from the introductory section with only a bit more info added. Further into each section, the overview of that particualar section was rehashed again. The info provided could have been done in 20 pages or so. There is some good info but, frankly, you'll get 95% of the info by reading here as well as some of the various DIR websites. As for the DVDs, I haven't gotten around to them as of yet. If they ramble on and on and on about the same few things as the book did you'll see them on eBay soon!

I still would like to take their fundamentals course.

Steve

I read the book out of curiousity and it was disappointing - just didn't seem to have alot of content.

Yep, the books are just general background to the class. You have to take the class to get the good stuff!

Damselfish:
I read the book out of curiousity and it was disappointing - just didn't seem to have alot of content.

I have to agree...

I bought the book, workbook and DVD set in advance of taking the class at the end of this summer.

I was especially hoping to get a glance at some techniques on the DVD so I could get into "rough form" before the course. I was sorely dissappointed that basic things like trim and S-drills and the differnet kicks were not featured at all (or I have not found them yet in the 8 hours of video).

If I can I can see these things for free on the 5th D website, I would have thought they would be on the DVD...

Funy how DIR advocates are always rightly playing down the equipment aspect of DIR (in lieu of other more imprtant facets), but ironically equipment setup the topic adressed most completely in the book and DVD.

JAG

Funy how DIR advocates are always rightly playing down the equipment aspect of DIR (in lieu of other more imprtant facets), but ironically equipment setup the topic adressed most completely in the book and DVD.
LOL...dude, just sell the DVDs and go buy a copy of "The Birdcage" or "Joe Dirt" and forget you ever heard about GUE.

jagfish:
ironically equipment setup the topic adressed most completely in the book and DVD.
IIRC, equipment is only one chapter in the book. The rest is about techniques, protocols, and philosophies.
On the DVD set, it's only about 50%. Disk 1 is nearly 100% except for the 10 minutes on the balanced rig (more of an implementation thing). Disk 2 carries on, but still has over an hour on gas mixing and procedures.
Disk 3 is basically 100% interview and procedures.

Still, this is an equipment-intensive sport, and though equipment is only a small part of DIR, it is an important part. It is also something that is easy to address completely in a (relatively speaking) short DVD. DIR-F is a minimum 20-hour class over 2-3 days. This is an 8-hour video, and it covers areas not covered in DIR-F. In-water skills take up the bulk of DIR-F, and would be the most difficult to film and adequately "teach" in a DVD.

I too would have liked to have seen more in the way of skills, but the DVD set is not (and can't be) a substitute for the classroom. It can be used to clear up a lot of misinformation, and someone who has studied it can get into the DIR-F class without any issues other than focusing on learning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom